Swiss rail pass promotions question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 0:26:28 #811863

Good evening. I see there is a current promotion on buy 8 get 2 free on the consecutive rail pass.

Is there always deals and when would the next one be?

We are a family of 6 with the youngest 10 and 14 years old. What is the best value for us this summer we are arriving July 24 and departing Aug 14. I was looking at the 15 day any time within one month deal.

Thoughts suggestions?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 10:03:23 #863481

Hi Heyshawn and welcome to MySwissAlps!

These promotions don’t happen too frequently, but they do happen from time to time.

You can order the Swiss Travel Pass online at any time (they don’t sell out). So you don’t have to decide right now. Just give yourself a week to order and receive the pass by email to print at home (1 to 3 business days are needed) before traveling.

If the current promotion isn’t right for you, keep checking our page here for current promotions for the latest news (be sure to enter your country of residence and hit “Show results”).

Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 May 2017 at 17:35:42 #863482

Hi Heyshawn,

Just a note on what you called the “15 day any time within one month deal”. You mean the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex, right? It’s important to understand that you won’t get any benefits from this pass on the non-travel days. So in your case you would have 6 or 7 days without free or discounted traveling. That might fit your plans, but it does not work for most people. They either buy an additional Swiss Half Fare Card or use the consecutive regular Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2017 at 13:12:39 #863483

I can be corrected if I am wrong, and hopefully an expert can verify this: I think with the Swiss Half Fare Card ($120 x2) you can get the family card so the kids will travel free. Then you can buy a pack of 1-day passes. I think you can get 6 for $375 ($62.50/day), or buy them individually for $75 a day. You can also get the 9’oclock day pass which are good Monday-Friday after 9 am, those cost $ 58 a day or the 6-pack for $290 ($48/day). I don’t know how this works with your plans, but it could be an option for you.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2017 at 10:57:14 #863484

Indeed the Swiss Half Fare Card with one day travel passes are an option, but it’s important to do the math for each case. This option works great if one is doing mostly shorter day trips with the Swiss Half Fare Card, but also wants to do an occasional long trip.

But the amount add up quickly when buying multiple one day travel passes. Even when buying a 6-pack (pay 5, get 6) of 9 o’clock travelpasses one would spend CHF 410 on the Swiss Half Fare Card and the 6-pack. An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is only CHF 376. It gets you two more days of traveling, no time restrictions, free rides on selected mountain transport like Mount Pilatus, and also free museum entrance. In most cases that’s the better option.

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass promotions question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.