Swiss Travel Pass & reserving Luzern to Interlaken

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
cgoodlett
cgoodlett
2 posts
Feb 22, 2018 - 12:14 PM

Hello,

I have a few questions.

1) I am going to be doing a lot of traveling in Switzerland for 5 ish days so I am thinking of buying the swiss rail pass (4 days). Does this really cover all trains between cities?!?! You don't even need to book a certain time (unless its a special line)?

2) I am going to add on the Golden Rail line to my trip from Lucerne to Interlaken and I want to buy my seat in advance. Can I buy the second class swiss rail pass but buy a first class seat for the Goldon line trip?

Thanks!

Cait

Lucas
Lucas
9883 posts
expert &
Feb 22, 2018 - 2:19 PM in reply to cgoodlett

Hi Cait and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes it pretty well covers all inter-city trips in Switzerland. You can see a PDF map of the covered routes on our Swiss Travel Pass page. You do not need to book a seat (nor can you a lot of the time here).

2. Every train that runs between Luzern and Interlaken is the same, called the "Luzern-Interlaken Express". They go once per hour & no reservations are needed (though you can of course if you prefer). See the Swiss railways timetable here.
    On this and other regional trains, the difference between 1st and 2nd class is very small. It is primarily quieter as less people pay for 1st class on these trains. The differences are more noticeable on the Panoramic train between Zweisimmen and Montreux on the Golden Pass route, or on the Glacier & Bernina Express trains. If you do want to upgrade you can do so online on the SBB.ch website or at the station prior to boarding. They will charge you 1/2 the price between 1st and 2nd class tickets. Both classes on this train have larger windows and small ceiling windows as well.
Last modified on Feb 22, 2018 - 2:19 PM by Lucas
cgoodlett
cgoodlett
2 posts
Feb 22, 2018 - 2:32 PM

Thank you so much Lucas!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018