Swiss Rail pass purchase at Malpensa?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2015 at 17:27:20 #808019

Hello-

My girlfriend and I will be flying into Milan’s Malpensa airport on 10/18/2015. Our plan is to take the bus to Domodossola and connect to Zermatt via train. We are interested in purchasing a Swiss Rail pass that covers 3 days of travel plus a half fare card. Due to the last minute planning of our trip we are unable to buy the pass on raileurope.com because it requires to be shipped. Can we buy the passes at the Malpensa airport?

Any information would be much appreciated!

cheers!

-Robert-

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 October 2015 at 6:50:34 #846463

Welcome to MySwissAlps Robert!

I assume you intend to buy the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi? Is that what you mean?

If so, you are right that the passes need to be shipped. But there’s still time. If you go to http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-travel-pass-flex-with-half-fare-card-combi/index.html you can have free shipping to the US in 2 to 3 days.

I don’t know of any options at Malpensa airport. But apart from that, it’s more convenient to buy in advance so you can board the train/bus straight away rather than spending time on buying passes. If you would buy locally you could do so in Brig, but you would probably miss your next train and you would not have free traveling from Domodossola to Brig.

Does this help?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2015 at 16:26:39 #846464

Arno-

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! The Swiss Travel Pass Combi is what we are looking to purchase. Thank you for the website. I will definitely get it ordered today.

Do you think the easiest way to get to Zermatt from Malpensa is to go through Domodossola or would you recommend another route?

Thanks again for the information!

Cheers!

-Robert-

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 October 2015 at 17:02:59 #846465

Hi Robert,

The route via Domodossola and Brig is the most direct one. Anything else would be a huge detour.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2015 at 0:01:28 #846466

Arno-

The tickets have been purchased and are on the way. Thanks again for the information. My girlfriend are spending 3 nights in Zermatt. Hopefully the weather cooperates and allows some views of the Matterhorn. After Zermatt we are thinking of heading towards Interlaken. We are wanting to do some hikes near Grindelwald as well as the Jungraujoch train ride. Would you recommend gettin accommodations in Interlaken or just getting a room in Grindelwald?

Thanks again for the information. We are really looking forward to visiting Switzerland.

-Robert-

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 October 2015 at 0:35:56 #846467

<<“Would you recommend gettin accommodations in Interlaken or just getting a room in Grindelwald?”>>

Your interests seem to be focused in the area south of Interlaken.

If I were doing it, I’d book in Grindelwald, or Wengen.

Interlaken’s principal value is as a transfer point, in my opinion.

So, I’d not book in Interlaken.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2015 at 0:56:13 #846468

Slowpoke-

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll look into places in Grindelwald and Wengen. Thanks for the info!

-Robert-

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2015 at 20:50:11 #846469

Is it easier to connect to Zermatt through Brig or through Visp. While researching online is appeared the connection is simpler through Visp.

How exactly do you use the Swiss Pass. Do you need to make a reservation on the train you want, or do you just board the train with your pass?

Thanks!

-Robert-

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 October 2015 at 22:26:06 #846470

Oct 15, 2015 – 8:50 PMin reply to slcskier

Hi Robert -<<“Is it easier to connect to Zermatt throughBrig or through Visp. While researching online is appeared theconnection is simpler through Visp.”>>

Brig and Visp are very close to one another. Look at a map:

map.classic.search.ch/

I’d pick whatever routing looks best from the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

<<“How exactly do you use theSwiss Pass. Do you need to make a reservation on the train you want, ordo you just board the train with your pass?”>>

Unless you have selected a special train with a named route (such as the Glacier Express) , you will not need reservations. Take any train and show your pass when the conductor checks tickets.

On occasion, you may be asked to show an ID, such as your passport. Make sure you sign the pass as required. If you have a pass that starts a clock once you begin to use it, or has certain days that are “counted” it may be more complex. You may have to enter a start date, etc. Arno and Annika can help with those fine details.

What I have described in the general case works easily. Get on the train and show the pass as needed.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2015 at 22:41:41 #846471

Awesome!! Thanks again for the information. You’ve been most helpful!

Cheers!

-Robert-

• The thread ‘Swiss Rail pass purchase at Malpensa?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.