Swiss Travel Pass use when departing Switzerland

• Walsh016
    Participant
    3 posts
    10 August 2018 at 3:30:53 #817794

I will travel from Wengen to Stuttgart on the last day of my Swiss Travel Pass. The itinerary is Wengen – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken Ost – Karlsruhe – Stuttgart.

How much of the trip is included in the Swiss Travel Pass? Does it include the Interlaken – Karlsruhe leg, or part of it? For example, does the pass pay for Interlaken-Basel, but not Basel – Karlsruhe? If so, how should I handle that – book in advance, and/or pay at the ticket counter in Wengen?

So – Should I book all or part of the trip in advance? Is it advisable or necessary to pre-book the German part?

Thanks for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 5:38:15 #893863

Hi Walsh016 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Travel Pass just covers travel within Switzerland (check PDF map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity)

So you’ll need a ticket from Basel to Stuttgart. I would buy the ticket in advance, International tickets get more expensive typically, the closer to your departure date.

You can find retailers to buy that ticket from here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2018 at 15:00:37 #893864

Hi Walsh016

Were you able to sort out the best rail pass for your trip? Let us know if you need more help!

Walsh016
    Participant
    3 posts
    23 August 2018 at 19:38:57 #893865

Yes, I went to the Hauptbahnhof ticket office when I was in Zurich and bought tickets for the German portion of the trip. I had been unsure how to handle the Interlaken Ost – Karlsruhe leg of the trip, since there is no train change. At the ticket office they sold me the tickets from Basel Bad Bf (not Basel SBB) to my destination in Germany (Stuttgart via Karlsruhe) and reserved two seats (for my wife and me) on the Interlaken Ost – Karlsruhe train (ICE 278, which actually continues on to Berlin.)

Walsh016
    Participant
    3 posts
    23 August 2018 at 19:47:51 #893866

The portion from Wengen, through Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken Ost, to Basel Bad Bf was included (paid for) by my Swiss Travel Passes, which I had bought before departing the U.S. My other travels in Switzerland (Zurich – Wengen, Grindelwald – Wengen, etc. were also covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, and a portion of the cog wheel trains and cable cars (to and from Kleine Scheidegg, Maennlichen, etc.) were also covered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2018 at 7:11:25 #893867

Yup, sounds exactly right Walsh!

Happy travels 🙂

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass use when departing Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.