Swiss Travel Pass with Top of Europe tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2018 at 21:07:18 #818941

Hello, I will be in Switzerland for a week in December 15-23 with my sisters. I am trying to plan everything in advance. We are landing in Zurich at night and in the morning heading to Grindelwad where our airbnb is located. I was thinking it might be better off to head straight to Top of Europe then head to Grindlewald to check in. After a few days in the Junfrau region we are headed to Zermatt to take the glacier express to St.Moritz. I had already purchased first class upgrade so that I could reserve 1st class seats on the glacier express (thanks to the info on these forums). I had just received my 8day rail passes in the mail but am still confused of how it works with Top of Europe. Do I have to/Can i book in advance and how do I do that with the swiss rail pass? Is it just the rail tickets that I need to purchase or do I also have to purchase separate admission tickets for each attraction (sphinx, ice palace, etc). Any information would be very helpful! Thank you! Angela

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 November 2018 at 2:04:08 #899052

Hi Decwed2014 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

With the Swiss Travel Pass you will need a ticket from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe). The Swiss Travel Pass covers you as far as Grindelwald or Wengen and from either of those locations you need to buy a ticket at a 25% discounted fare. The fare covers Entry to Sphinx and Ice Cave.

If you have luggage then drop it off on the way. Don’t try to cart it to Jungfraujoch with you.

Before you buy a ticket make sure the weather is favourable. Pick the best day weather-wise. Keep and eye on bit.ly/2GmILXS and bit.ly/2pORTKs.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2018 at 7:58:30 #899053

Hi Hi Decwed2014,

You can see the coverage and discounts offered by the Swiss Travel Pass on our validity page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

If a route is noted as discounted only, you’ll need to buy a ticket for that portion – just show your rail pass when buying the ticket to get the appropriate discount.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2018 at 23:06:02 #899054

Hello rockoyster and Lucas thank you! It gets really overwhelming and it could be the simplest thing that goes over my head. For some reason I was thinking that if I had dropped off my luggage at grindelwald I would have to take the train back to interlaken in order to get to junfraujoc. Thank you again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2018 at 8:25:57 #899055

Yeah not at all! Grindelwald is a main starting point to Jungfraujoch. Happy travels.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass with Top of Europe tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.