Swiss rail trip 10 days in Sept: rail pass advice?

• Madreblair
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 May 2023 at 0:07:55 #829929

So happy to have found this website as I plan a trip to Switzerland, so much helpful information. If anyone can tell me if the Rail I listed is correct and any other I am missing I would appreciate it. Also we are in our 70’s and would prefer direct travel if possible as we will have luggage. This is for September 2024. Have yet to decide on which rail passes to buy. Any advice is appreciated. Doesn’t look like some of my choices are Panoramic trains, right?

This is what I have so far.

• Day 1 Zurich stay flying from JFK
    • Day 2-3 Zurich to Lugano – using Rail Europe?
    • Day 4-6- Lugano to Lucerne using Gotthard Panorama Express train and boat
    • Day 7-8 Lucerne to Interlaken- Golden pass
    • Day 9- Interlaken to Montreux – Rail Europe?
    • Day 10 Montreux to Geneva- Rail Europe?

Thank you for any advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2216 posts
    27 May 2023 at 10:10:57 #954759

Hello Madreblair,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Great to hear you will be visiting Switzerland. Based on your plans, at a glance I would say a Swiss Travel Pass would be a good idea for traveling around when here. It’s super convenient – unlimited travel on the trains, buses and boats. You’ll also have discounted mountain rides and free museum entrance. You can read more about the Swiss Travel Pass here:

Many members of our forum like to carry out some calculations via our “how to choose a rail pass” link. That way they can be sure they have the best rail pass option. Here’s the link:

I think you will find it handy to use the SBB timetable to plan your journeys/routes. That way you can also research if a particular journey will be direct or if any changes are required. https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

In regard to panoramic trains, the Gotthard Panorama Express is a panoramic train, you can take a further look at the below link for more details:

There are options to travel the GoldenPass route via panoramic trains too. Scroll to the “The train” paragraph. More information here:

With regard to “Rail Europe”, do you mean this, as the rail network here in Switzerland or are you referring to something else?

I hope this helps.

Madreblair
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 May 2023 at 11:02:11 #954760

Yes I have read and researched those links you posted That is how I found those Rail names.. I am looking for more specific rail names. For example leaving Zurich I need to go to the HB station when I searched going to Lugano I got a website for Rail Europe but no specific rail name and I could go to Chur for the Bernina Express but that is not direct. Thanks for you reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2023 at 11:16:45 #954761

Rail Europe is not a train operator – it is one (of many) ticketing web site.

In Switzerland you will travel on the so called ‘Swiss Travel System’ which is a comprehensive multi modal, multi operator system of trains , buses, post buses, lake boats etc all connecting with each other and using common pricing principles. – read about it here:

http://www.mystsnet.com/en/about-us/swiss-travel-system/what-is-swiss-travel-system/

http://www.myswissalps.com/swissrailpasses

The Swiss Travel Pass will be valid on all your planned routes:

The operators (although it doesn’t matter as your pass will be valid across the whole system are as follows):

Day 2-3 Zurich to Lugano : SBB (Swiss Federal Railways)

Day 4-6- Lugano to Lucerne using Gotthard Panorama Express train and boat SBB and SGV (the Lake Luzern boat operator)

Day 7-8 Lucerne to Interlaken: ZB (Zentralbahn), branded Luzern Interlaken Express

Day 9- Interlaken to Montreux: BLS and MOB railways Golden Pass route

Day 10 Montreux to Geneva: SBB (CFF in French)

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 May 2023 at 13:57:17 #954762

Hi Madreblair,

As already explained above, the train operators are nice to know but not relevant as the train system is more like a subway system in a big city: frequent trains and you’ll hop on and off as you please, with a Swiss Travel Pass for example. If you want a specific panoramic tourist train like the Bernina Express, you need an additional seat reservation. But that’s optional as there are plenty of other trains on the same route. It’s a very easy way to travel: very flexible, and not much planning ahead is required.

You may find some useful additional information here as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical

Madreblair
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 May 2023 at 14:36:09 #954763

Thank you 196oman for those details.

When choosing tickets for Jungfraujoch for 2 people using a Swiss pass it is 292 vs a half fare card for 193 ( looking at Sept of this year as an example)

I am not convinced that the Swiss Travel Pass will save me money for the excursions and train travel we’ll be doing. I will need to price them all out. .

Thank you Yolanda for all your advice, I will read some more and see if I have more questions. I know I will.

Yolanda
    2216 posts
    27 May 2023 at 15:36:23 #954764

Very welcome Madreblair,

That’s fine, feel free to reach out. Yes, best to carry out some calculations to be sure which rail pass would be most economical for you.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    27 May 2023 at 21:48:43 #954765

Welcome

I would like to point out when calculating transport prices using the SBB app the price shown at first is the price for those in possession of the Swiss Half Fare Card. It is assumed that residents and the majority of tourists will have this card if they are trying to buy a ticket as no tickets are needed if in possession of the Swiss Travel Pass apart from journeys via cable car, gondola and some mountain railways. These fares are usually discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass.

If you do not plan to buy the Swiss Travel Pass you could look at the validity maps for the Tell Pass, Jungfrau Pass or the Berner Oberland Pass as, depending on your plans, they cover most mountain transport as well as the trains, boats and buses. The Jungfrau and Schilthorn are discounted with the Bernese Oberland Pass and Jungfrau Pass.

We are going to Switzerland in June and have not bought a Swiss Travel Pass this time as we are just staying in the Bernese Oberland area. We have bought Swiss Half Fare Cards, Berner Oberland Passes (discounted because of the Half Fare Card) and 2 Saver Day Passes to get to and from the airport at the beginning and end of our holiday. The Saver Day Passes are available and at their cheapest 60 days before they are valid. They are also discounted because of the Half Fare Card.

Hope this will help you with your calculations.

Best wishes

Jane

Anna
    6274 posts
    28 May 2023 at 6:34:20 #954766

Hi Madreblair,

Based on your itinerary, I would recommend buying the Swiss Travel Pass (valid on consecutive days) or the Swiss Travel Pass Flex (valid for non-consecutive days).Switzerland has an integrated transport network and the Swiss Travel Pass/STP Flex is valid on all Swiss public transport including trains, boats, trams and buses.

For your information, the ticket prices indicated on the SBB timetable are half-price by default. You can find useful info on how to use the timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Regards,

Anna

Madreblair
    Participant
    5 posts
    28 May 2023 at 17:25:47 #954767

Jane EB thanks for sharing your information, valid point , I need to figure out the price of the half price card to see the total cost. I have seen many other blogs and youtube recommend the Berner Oberland pass with the Swiss half fare card, this seems to make more sense but need to work on my itinerary in more detail to see what included items cost.

I really think that will be my best option , will look into the Tell pass Summer, I had not seen this mentioned in all my research.

Will it be valid in September though?

Anna & Arno thanks for your input too.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    28 May 2023 at 18:30:21 #954768

Hi Madreblair

The Tell Pass is available between 1st April and 31st October.

Best wishes

Jane

• The thread ‘Swiss rail trip 10 days in Sept: rail pass advice?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.