Swiss Rail vs Eurail for Munich and Switzerland

• drewkerwin
    Participant
    2 posts
    22 February 2017 at 21:30:33 #810875

Hello,

My family and I (me, wife, 2 children 14,16 at time of trip) will be in Munich and Switzerland in July. Munich for 5 days, Switzerland for 8 days. I’m trying to get my head around all the options available for train travel. We will need some long distance (For example Munich to Zermatt, Zermatt to Lucerne etc.. ) and a variety of short distance trains/buses/trams to see various hiking spots.

I have been reading through the material on myswissalps.com as well as other sites, but quite frankly there is too much information.

If we were only traveling to Switzerland, then we would purchase the Swiss Travel Pass with the Family pack added for the 15 year old. I believe this is the most efficient use of money. This option would also provide free use of the short distance trains/trams/buses. If this is not the most cost effective please let me know.

On the other hand, since we are in two different countries, it seems the Eurail pass is far less expensive (http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/eurail-select-pass/index.html) for the 2,3,4 country option. But, does that allow for all of the other free options available in Switzerland (trams/buses/trains)?

What is the method most people use in Germany/Switzerland for the time frames stated above?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2017 at 10:00:32 #859258

Hi there

I have been in the same predicament as you as to whether to buy a Interrail pass or a Swiss Travel Pass however i decided on a interrail pass as we were travelling by train to Switzerland. This may sway your decision. I have just looked up prices for my initial journey from

Journey from my home town to London to catch Eurostar then from London to Montreux the single price is £142.50 and the Youth interrail ticket was £160 currently as 15% sale on so i think that with the rest of the journeys i have more than covered the cost. The trick also is to find the trains without seat reservations as it Switzerland there is not much difference between first and second class rail.

If you want to check prices loco2 and sncf have now got the facility to check ticket prices up till the end of June .

For trains in Switzerland use the SBB website and I suggest you also get this as an app on your phone whilst you are away so that you can check trains on the go. Another suggestion my daughter said was just turn up at the station you are travelling from just that little bit earlier in case you have to have a seat reservation. most train stations are very very helpfull.

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 February 2017 at 12:20:32 #859259

Hi drewkerwin, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

You’re right, for Swiss journeys the Swiss Travel Pass combined with the Swiss Family Card is by far the most convenient solution. Eurail Pass prices may look better, but its coverage for Switzerland isn’t as good as the Swiss Travel Pass coverage. Please click the “Validity” tabs on both pages I linked to to compare.

Which pass turns out to be better can only be told after doing calculations based on all details of your itinerary. This process is explained at myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass. If you’ll only be needing shorter local trips while in Munich, my guess would be that you’re best off getting regular tickets for the German part of your stay and a Swiss Travel Pass for Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Swiss Rail vs Eurail for Munich and Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.