Saver Day Pass or ticket Interlaken to Geneva?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2018 at 10:56:01 #819145

Is it possible to purchase the Swiss Saver Day Pass and then buy train tickets ahead of time? My boyfriend and I are planning to travel from Interlaken to the Geneva airport on Sunday, December 30th for our flight at 9:30pm. Here is our travel plan:

13:08-16:13: Golden Pass train from Interlaken Ost to Montreux (via Zweisimmen): $52

16:47-17:57 or 17:20-18:39: Train from Montreux to Genève-Aéroport: $35

It doesn’t look like it’s worth it to get the Half Fare pass, but the Swiss Saver Day Pass would save us about $15 so I’d like to get that. But I’d feel more comfortable having train tickets booked ahead of time, especially because it says online that the trains from Montreux to Genève-Aéroport will have a higher than average passenger expectancy, but I’m not sure what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 December 2018 at 11:17:50 #900188

Hi Svanriessen, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your Saver Day Pass is your ticket, so you would buy one or the other. Seat reservations are a separate thing and come on top of your pass or ticket. Reservations are rarely required in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations.

Saver Day Pass details can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass. Note that Saver Day Pass prices vary. If you go to the Price tab of the page and click the link you can search for the actual prices per day. Right now December 30 shows CHF 70. That price will go up as the date gets closer and more passes are being sold. A regular ticket for your route costs CHF 78. So you would save CHF 8 per person if you buy the Saver Day Pass today, but do note that it is not refundable.

A Swiss Half Fare Card indeed does not make sense for this trip only. But if you also travel to Interlaken by train and do day trips there, it might save money.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2018 at 15:31:37 #900189

Would you recommend getting a seat reservation for the Golden Pass leg of the train from Interlaken to Montreux? I can’t tell from the information on this site if that is one of the panoramic trains that it is recommended to get a seat reservation or not. Would we be able to buy a Saver Day Pass and then get a seat reservation?

Also, could you tell me how you found the price of CHF 78 for our route? I was finding more than that when looking at the cost of the Interlaken to Montreux ticket and then Montreux to Geneva.

Thanks for your help!

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 December 2018 at 16:01:00 #900190

Hi Svanriessen,

Seat reservations are not required: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/tickets. However, on a Sunday in the holiday season you may want to consider getting them only for the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg. That’s the most popular section. You can always board the train but it would be a pity if you had to stand.

You can buy a seat reservation at any time, you don’t need to have a pass or ticket to do so. It’s a completely separate thing. Before or after the reservation you can buy your pass or ticket.

How to find prices is explained on the timetable page: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. In this case it is not sufficient to just fill out Interlaken to Montreux or Geneva and check prices, because you prefer the Golden Pass route, and that’s not the quickest default route it will show. So you’ll have to fill out you’re traveling via Zweisimmen and Montreux. The instructions on the timetable page help you to use the timetable like that. Your route is more scenic, but also shorter than the quicker route, so cheaper 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2018 at 16:35:57 #900191

That makes sense, I think we’d like to have a seat reservation. Can you please send a link that you’d recommend booking seat reservations through?

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 December 2018 at 17:02:06 #900192

Great! You’ll find reservation links on the first page I referred to in my previous post.

• The thread ‘Saver Day Pass or ticket Interlaken to Geneva?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.