Swiss Saver Pass and the GoldenPass Line

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2010 at 2:02:24 #804036

Hi,

My boyfriend and I (26yr & 24yr) will be going to Zurich from Geneva in 1 day in the first week of Dec. Instead of taking the direct train route, we want to take the GoldenPass Line to see the mountains on the way. I have been looking around for the prices for the tickets and am still a little confused which would be the more economical option. This will likely be our only train ride in Switzerland. We will be staying with my boyfriend’s relatives in Zurich for 2 days, but I don’t know if they will be taking us anywhere with the public transit.

My main question is that, for the saver pass, do we just have to purchase 1 for the 2 of us to share? or do we have to buy 2, one saver pass per person?

Also, on the GoldenPass website, it listed prices between different stops. Since our starting point is at Geneva and our end point is at Zurich, we will be traveling the whole GoldenPass Line from Montreux to Lucern, while making quick stops whenever the train stops (e.g. at Zweisimmen, Interlaken), and then hop on to the next train that suits our schedule (while arriving at Zurich by the end of the day). Will we be buying the Montreux-Lucern ticket? Or do we have to buy all the tickets between stops (i.e. Montreux-Zweisimmen, Sweisimmen-Spiez, Spiez-Interlaken, and Interlaken-Luzern)? We know that we have to purchase the train tickets from Geneva-Montreux and Lucern-Zurich separately.

If possible we would like to take a short hike to get closer to the mountain from one of those stops (E.g. from Interlaken). Are there trails that start from the town, or will we have to take another train/bus to one? I’m asking this because we have a tight schedule to make — don’t want to be in Lucern too late as the sun sets at around 5pm in Dec.

Thank you very much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 November 2010 at 16:50:43 #831922

Hi makking, and welcome to this website!

The one-day trip from Geneva to Zurich via the Golden Pass route can be made with just one ticket. A regular ticket Geneva via Zweisimmen and Meiringen to Zurich covers the whole journey. It costs CHF 98 per person. Rail passes such as the Swiss Saver Pass are more expensive. You can consider the Swiss Half Fare Card if you plan make any additional trips by train, bus, boat or lift.

Early December, there will be daylight from about 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Please note that the trip itself takes about 7 hours, so there won’t be a lot of time left for additional sight seeing or hiking. You can use the timetable to check the departure times, and you can purchase tickets from there as well.

Enjoy the ride!

• The thread ‘Swiss Saver Pass and the GoldenPass Line’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.