Rail pass for 2 days Zurich/Lucerne or rent a car?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2017 at 23:53:18 #813492

Hi my husband and I will be traveling to Switzerland from 19/10 to 28/10. We bought the 8 days Swiss travel pass starting from arrival day n will end on 26/10. We still have 2 more days and will be at Lucerne and Zurich respectively. We will be doing a day trip to Bern while in Lucerne. What is the best and most cost effective pass that we should get for the 2 days? Or will driving be a good alternative?
    Regards
    Wati

Sent from my iPhone

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2017 at 9:27:44 #870877

Hi wati67,
    If your only plan is to travel to Bern from Lucerne and then take a train to Zurich I don’t think any rail pass would be worthwhile. Renting a car would certainly be an expensive option.

I would just buy a point to point train ticket for those two trips. You can buy them online or at the train station.

Look for supersaver tickets as well with the timetable (shown with a % sign). You can’t get refunds if you miss the specific train but they can be quite cheap when available.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2017 at 6:41:47 #870878

Thanks for the reply. But I find the point to point tickets are quite expensive. From lucerne to Bern and back to Lucerne for 2 of us can cost up to CHF 180 with the city to city tickets and super saver is not available. And this haven’t include train from Lucerne to Zurich yet and we are carrying our luggages with us. That’s why I thought if we were to rent car for the 2 days wouldn’t it be better? On 28/10 we are going Zurich for day trip as our flight is at night 2215 hrs. What can you advise ?

Arno
    15482 posts
    14 October 2017 at 15:15:36 #870879

Hi Wati67,

The tickets cost CHF 72 per person without any discounts. I found plenty of Supersaver tickets for the 27th ad 28th in the timetable. You will have to click quite a lot to get to them, but they are there (perhaps not for your preferred time though).

Personally I would not drive, especially not to a city like Bern. The train is much more comfortable. No parking hassle and costs.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2017 at 0:30:35 #870880

Thanks for your reply. Yes I’ve found some Super saver tickets for the 2 days and I agree train would be a better choice. However does this single train tickets cover trams or buses as well ? Or do we have to buy separate tickets for trams?

Arno
    15482 posts
    15 October 2017 at 7:29:08 #870881

You’re welcome! The tickets cover the trains only. The city center of Bern is easy to explore on foot. Unless you can’t walk much, that’s what I would recommend. If you do need a public transport ticket you can buy it on the spot. The same applies to Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2017 at 8:43:46 #870882

Thank you for the help. Looking forward for this coming trip.

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 2 days Zurich/Lucerne or rent a car?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.