Swiss train travel: how to find train connections

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 17:10:10 #815701

Hello:

Trip is planned to Switzerland on 8/25-9/1/18.

My plan is to fly into Zurich on 8/25 and catch train to Zermatt that same day. On 8/29 I depart Zurich and plan to head to Murren by train. Then depart Murren on 9/1 back to Zurich for flight home.

My plan is to get swiss travel pass for this. I just was looking for some help/confirmation that I wont have trouble finding trains running to and from these locations on the selected dates. Hotels are already purchased and I don’t want to find out I cant get from point A to point B on the selected dates

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 17:22:06 #884059

Hi Ctorq5217, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Have you tried the Swiss railways timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable?

Do you have to go back to Zurich when you’re in Zermatt? You could also take a more scenic route tu Murren via Kandersteg and Spiez.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 18:46:22 #884060

Thank you for such a quick reply.

I do not have to go back to Zurich while in Zermatt. My plan is to hike/sightsee in Zermatt and then do the same in Murren. I think I’d much prefer the quickest travels between both locations where I’ll be staying. I did check the timetable and found schedules fro Zurich to Zermatt. I tried same thing with Zermatt to murren, didn’t see anything listed, and then figured out I probably needed to list Interlaken as my transfer point from Zermatt trip.

Would I transfer from Interlaken east or west as best point to catch train to murren?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 0:52:28 #884061

>> I tried same thing with Zermatt to murren, didn’t see anything listed, and then figured out I probably needed to list Interlaken as my transfer point from Zermatt trip.

No, you don’t need to do that. Putting in Zermatt to Mürren works fine. The timetable will show you where you need to change along the way. When following the Swiss Timetable link above, make sure to use the timetable on the right with the red SBB logo.

I have attached a printout from the Swiss Timetable showing all the connections from Zermatt to Mürren on 29 August 2018, plus full details of one connection (selected at random), departing Zermatt at 8:37.

This is the fastest route between Zermatt and Mürren. It travels underneath the mountains through the 34.5 km Lötschberg-Basistunnel to save time. To avoid this long tunnel, and enjoy beautiful mountain scenery instead, you could take the Lötschberg mountain route. This route will come up if you put via Kandersteg into your timetable search, and will take somewhat longer due to the mountainous terrain.

There is a brief description of the Lötschberg mountain route in JohnYorks’ post of May 3, 2018 – 8:50 PM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/map-of-train-platforms

>> Would I transfer from Interlaken east or west as best point to catch train to murren?

Interlaken Ost is the station from where the trains into the Jungfrau Region leave.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 13:47:07 #884062

Thank you for your help. I’ll take a look at the Timetable.

• The thread ‘Swiss train travel: how to find train connections’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.