Swiss Transfer Pass for Zurich to St. Moritz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2018 at 15:18:55 #819009

Good afternoon,

I will be travelling to Switzerland for the first time in January with 7 companions. We will be landing in Zurich but are heading to Club Med in St. Moritz by train. I was planning to purchase rail tickets through RailEurope but saw the Swiss Transfer Passes today which are slightly cheaper. My question is – if I buy the transfer passes can I reserve seats on the trains I want or is it first come, first served?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 November 2018 at 16:58:29 #899461

Hello Czunder, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You are referring to the Swiss Transfer Ticket, am I right? This ticket type will no longer be sold in 2019, but if you buy it in 2018 you can still use it in 2019. Rail Europe and other purchase options are listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstransferticket/pric e.

Seat reservations are a separate thing, regardless of which ticket or pass you’re traveling with. Seat reservations are uncommon in Switzerland, except for a few tourist trains. Please find details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations. If you would like to reserve seats anyway it will cost you at least CHF 5 per person per train, which would be CHF 80 for this trip (2 trains, 8 people). But again, it is not needed. You can always board.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 November 2018 at 22:00:49 #899462

The Swiss Transfer Ticket was effectively made redundant with the advent of the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) and bit.ly/2rkekat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 November 2018 at 14:37:51 #899463

Thank you Arno and Rockoyster. This seems too good to be true, since the transfer passes are significantly less than the train tickets. Since we’re travelling in a group I just want to be sure that we can all get on the same train/car. I just want to confirm – with the transfer passes no reservations are necessary – we just show up at the train station and board the train of our choice? And they are valid for one outbound and one return ride within the dates I indicate?

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 November 2018 at 16:52:38 #899464

Hi Czunder,

Correct, you don’t need to book seats, regardless of which pass or ticket you will be using. That’s just how it works in Switzerland: the train system is designed to be flexible. The Swiss Transfer Ticket indeed includes one outbound and one return ride. The pass that Rockoyster mentioned includes unlimited rides on one day, but you should be aware of the restrictions (like no refund) and buy well in advance. His links explain the details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 November 2018 at 19:17:09 #899465

Thank you so much! I think I’m ready to take the plunge. I have to say that I find the Swiss Rail website somewhat confusing (and I’m a travel agent…I’m used to deciphering things!), so your responses have been very helpful!

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 November 2018 at 20:51:48 #899466

Hi Czunder,

The domestic SBB website is geared to Swiss residents and can indeed be overwhelming. In many cases you only need it to check train schedules. For passes, including the Swiss Transfer Ticket, you can visit their much simpler tourist webshop: https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com/#/e n/home.

• The thread ‘Swiss Transfer Pass for Zurich to St. Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.