Swiss transfer ticket – must I start on day one

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2011 at 15:38:38 #804281

we are arriving in BAsel (airport) in mid July and want to stay in basel city for two nights before moving on for a fortnight in Grindelwald. In Grindelwald we will do a lot of walking so are probably going to use the local pass there giving free access to the cable cars.

Does the stay in Basle mean that I would not be able to use a swiss transfer ticket, or becasue it is so close to where we arrive can we effectively delay starting the transfer ticket start point.

many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 May 2011 at 0:25:12 #832792

Hi ricardwb,

You’re not required to use your Swiss Transfer Ticket immediately after landing in Basel. You may do so after a couple of days like you planned.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2011 at 2:56:33 #832793

many thanks, that’s just what I need to allow me to compare that with the other ticketing options

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2011 at 14:42:43 #832794

thanks for that reply, I am nw trying to work out which of a wider variety of options will work. am thinking of using swiss flexi pass to get to Grindelwald as this would also (for a price) allow an overnight in Bern. Do you know whether I will then be able to get a discount on purchasing the Jungfraubahnen pass; the discount is mentioned as applying to several other types of card but not specifically the swiss flexi pass. Your help is much appreciated

(It’s a great train system, but the options take a bit of getting your head around)
    Thanks
    Richard

Annika
    7104 posts
    11 May 2011 at 10:59:36 #832795

Hi Richard! As far as I know, the Swiss Pass and Swiss Flexi Pass are considered to be the same when discounts on regional railway passes are concerned. So yes, your (valid) Swiss Flexi Pass should allow you to purchase a discounted Jungfrau Railways Pass as well. To be 100% sure, you could best contact the Jungfrau Railways.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2011 at 15:47:56 #832796

many thanks i will check with them

• The thread ‘Swiss transfer ticket – must I start on day one’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.