Swiss Transfer Ticket Zermatt to Milan?

• thebowl
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 January 2016 at 18:16:21 #808261

Hi, my friends and I plan to fly into Geneva in mid-March, and head immediately to Zermatt for three days of skiing. I am aware that the transfer ticket can be used to enter the country at one location, and depart from another. What I cannot figure out is whether I can use it to get to Milan, or whether it would only be good to Domodosolla. The service map suggests the latter, although I know that there are trains that run from Brig to Milan, with no need for a transfer. 

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I have been quoted around US$235.00 for point to point tickets from Geneva>Zermatt>Milan. Does this seem about right? 

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 January 2016 at 19:41:08 #847622

Hi thebowl, and welcome,

The Swiss Transfer Ticket is indeed valid to Domodossola. The map sets the rules here, it does not matter where trains are bound for. You can remain seated in Domodossola, you just need to buy a ticket from there to Milan in advance.

You can check here for where to buy Swiss Transfer Tickets and here for tickets to Milan. $ 235 is a bit much, though not impossible. I just did a search on http://www.raileurope.com/eur opean-trains/trenitalia/how-to-book.html and found tickets for $ 195. If you buy a Swiss Transfer Ticket and a ticket from Domodossola to Milan from them it will be about the same amount.

thebowl
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 January 2016 at 20:36:55 #847623

Thanks, Arno.What type(s) of trains would run from Brig on to Milan? Would it matter which one I was one, or could I simply board any train in Brig that was headed to Milan? I have used the Transfer Ticket in the past, but never to actually cross the border.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2016 at 21:02:41 #847624

Hi

I have purchase tickets yesterday for the trip from Domodossola to Milan for tomorrow (12 Jan). The cost is 75€ for 3 adults and 1 child. You had to purchase tickets with seat reservations from Domodosola, but if you choose the correct train you will be able to start your journey in Swiss and stay on the same train to Milano. I am starting from Sion with my Swiss Travel pass, and show my booked tickets between Domodosola and Milan. You can purchase on line on Trenitalia website.

thebowl
    Participant
    8 posts
    11 January 2016 at 21:31:54 #847625

Thanks, Albert, and travel safely!  It looks to me as though only Trenitalia trains run from Brig to Domodossola, which I’m sure isn’t the case. In any event- Swiss travel ticket from Zermatt>Visp>Brig. At Brig, board a Trenitalita train bound for Milan. Purchase a Trenitalia ticket from Domodossola>Milan for that train, and check to see if a reservation is needed. 

This should be quite a bit less than the $235 quoted to me this morning for point-to-point tickets, by Rail Europe. 

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 January 2016 at 7:01:05 #847626

Hi thebowl,

The type of train and whether or not its operated by Trenitalia does not matter. The Swiss Transfer Ticket is valid for all trains.

The price is $148 through http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-transfer-ticket/index.html or CHF 141 through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. Both websites allow you to print the ticket at home. In additional you indeed need a ticket from Domodossola to Milan. Prices vary by train, booking date and retailer.

Annika
    7124 posts
    12 January 2016 at 7:01:48 #847627

Thanks for joining in Albert. Have a good trip!

thebowl
    Participant
    8 posts
    12 January 2016 at 15:57:37 #847628

Thank you, Annika. I have been advised by others that it is a good idea to have seat reservations, at least from Domodossola to Milan (we will be a group of four). Am I correct that the only way to do this would be to also pay for the ticket from Brig, instead of Domodossola? The difference is rather small.

And will luggage tickets be required on the train from Brig to Milan, with large suitcases?

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 January 2016 at 17:46:31 #847629

Hi thebowl,

Well, many trains to Milan require to book a seat, so you really don’t have a choice in such a case. Tickets for such trains include a reservation. You only need to pay from Domodossola, but theoretically your seat can be occupied from Brig to Domodossola. So that could be a reason to book a ticket from Brig. The price difference can be significant if you can book the cheapest tickets for Domodossola – Milan. I just found tickets for only € 9 through http://www.raileurope-world.com/train/italia n-international-trains. That includes a seat reservation. They sell the Swiss Transfer Ticket as well. If you order well in advance that could be a good option.

thebowl
    Participant
    8 posts
    12 January 2016 at 18:39:25 #847630

Thanks, Arno! The train I am looking at appears to be open seating to Milan (#37), so it doesn’t look like I may need the seat reservation, also. I will order the passes and ticket by phone in the near future(we do not travel until March), and have the service representative walk me through all of my assumptions and understandings.

Many thanks to all!

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 January 2016 at 18:54:56 #847631

You’re most welcome! By the way, EuroCity 37 does require seat reservations. Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2016 at 17:52:01 #847632

Our trip to Milan from Sion and back in 1 day was wonderful. I have show my Swiss Travel Pass between Sion and Domodossola and after Domodossola I have shown my ticket conformation on my iphone. The train was quite full so Depending on time that you do a seat reservation. I could see most of the people getting on the train was looking for specific seat, implying a reaervation.

Annika/ Arno

Thank you for wonderful website. For last 6 months I have use it to plan our iternary. We are flying back on Saturday from Zurich to South Africa with wonderful me memories and 1000+ pics. I will send you later some detail and experience from first time visitor. Tomorrow we are returning from Sion via Golden Pass Route. Going to be a long day, but we arelooking forward to another wonderful day.

Annika
    7124 posts
    13 January 2016 at 18:24:29 #847633

Hi Albert,

Good to hear you’re enjoying your time in Switzerland! And thanks for your compliments. It may snow if you depart from Sion tomorrow morning, but it should clear up as you’re going north. By mid afternoon it will be cloudy everywhere, but you’ll probably have good views for at least part of the trip. Enjoy the ride!

It would indeed be great if you let us know about your experiences. You can post a trip report here. Perhaps you can include the best 10 of your 1000 pictures 😉

• The thread ‘Swiss Transfer Ticket Zermatt to Milan?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.