Swiss travel by car and train pass in December?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2017 at 4:35:35 #810551

Planning a trip to europe in Dec. Want to hire a car to travel from Munich to Lucerne, Zermatt, Interlaken and then to Innsbruck and Salzburg. My concern is driving in mountainous areas so was thinking to leave car parked in Lucerne for four days and then do 4 day train pass to Zermatt and Interlaken and then pick up the car again in Lucerne. Does this make sense? The reason for the car is my mom’s mobility is not great and we want to visit small towns between cities as well so i thought car for the rest may be ideal.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 January 2017 at 15:55:20 #857953

Hi Teeoxo, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Indeed a car is not essential in Switzerland, and often it can even be a hindrance if you try to use it in larger cities like Lucerne. Zermatt is car free, and the Jungfrau region south of Interlaken is largely car free too so you would not need a car there either. This page might be helpful: myswissalps.com/ carversustrain.

Another option could be to drop off your car at the German border and pick up another one in Austria, so you won’t pay the rental fee (and possibly parking costs) for a car you don’t use.

More on train travel and passes to save money can be found here: myswissalps.com/ train. There is a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass that may fit your needs. Feel free to get back here with further questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2017 at 16:09:08 #857954

Thank for the great suggestion.

• The thread ‘Swiss travel by car and train pass in December?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.