Best rail pass for 4nights Grindelwald in January

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 November 2019 at 22:15:37 #824375

Hi,

On the 7th of January, 4 of us adults will be travelling from Paris to Grindelwald. I believe the best way to do that is by train and takes roughly 6hrs to Interlaken from what I have researched. Then I started hearing that it might be a good idea to purchase a swiss travel card. This would make the Basel – Interlaken trip free I heard? But that would only be if we got the swiss travel card. Our whole trip in Switzerland would pretty much be in the Grindelwald area.

During our time there, we would like to possibly go up to Jungfrau depending on weather, maybe do a day on the slopes if we are up for it. Also, a bit of travel around that may include seeing Lauterbrunnen or Wengen or Murren and all the nice places. Also would love to do paragliding whilst we are there. Obviously relaxing when we feel like it too. I’ve also heard the trip to First is quite nice. But these are just all ideas and we will mainly have to see how the weather is and what we feel up to doing on the day. I have listed our dates of travel below.

Would anyone please be able to help me understand which travel card may end up being the most cost-effective for us or if it is better to just purchase tickets?

Itinerary:

7th Jan – depart Paris and arrive in Grindelwald

8th Jan – Grindelwald

9th Jan – Grindelwald

10th Jan – Grindelwald

11th Jan – Departing Switzerland – Santorini (not sure which airport it was to travel there. Will have to confirm this later)

That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jake

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 November 2019 at 0:38:20 #924664

Hello Jake and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Then I started hearing that it might be a good idea to purchase a swiss travel card. This would make the Basel – Interlaken trip free I heard?

That would be the Swiss Travel Pass and you heard correct.

Two bits of homework for you:

For such a short trip it is tricky to find a pass that will save you a lot. You might want to look at the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland (covers travel from Bern to Grindelwald) and the SwissHalf-fare Card as alternatives to the Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for 4nights Grindelwald in January’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.