Best rail pass for 4nights Grindelwald in January

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Jakehasemann
Jakehasemann
1 post
Nov 4, 2019 - 10:15 PM

Hi,

On the 7th of January, 4 of us adults will be travelling from Paris to Grindelwald. I believe the best way to do that is by train and takes roughly 6hrs to Interlaken from what I have researched. Then I started hearing that it might be a good idea to purchase a swiss travel card. This would make the Basel - Interlaken trip free I heard? But that would only be if we got the swiss travel card. Our whole trip in Switzerland would pretty much be in the Grindelwald area.

During our time there, we would like to possibly go up to Jungfrau depending on weather, maybe do a day on the slopes if we are up for it. Also, a bit of travel around that may include seeing Lauterbrunnen or Wengen or Murren and all the nice places. Also would love to do paragliding whilst we are there. Obviously relaxing when we feel like it too. I've also heard the trip to First is quite nice. But these are just all ideas and we will mainly have to see how the weather is and what we feel up to doing on the day. I have listed our dates of travel below.

Would anyone please be able to help me understand which travel card may end up being the most cost-effective for us or if it is better to just purchase tickets?

Itinerary:

7th Jan - depart Paris and arrive in Grindelwald

8th Jan - Grindelwald

9th Jan - Grindelwald

10th Jan - Grindelwald

11th Jan - Departing Switzerland - Santorini (not sure which airport it was to travel there. Will have to confirm this later)

That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jake

rockoyster
rockoyster
7611 posts
expert
Nov 5, 2019 - 12:38 AM in reply to Jakehasemann

Hello Jake and welcome to MySwissAlps,

"Then I started hearing that it might be a good idea to purchase a swiss travel card. This would make the Basel - Interlaken trip free I heard?"

That would be the Swiss Travel Pass and you heard correct.

Two bits of homework for you:

• Read www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france.
  • Based on your personal itinerary you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it's valid" page for all available passes. Be sure to check those pages for each pass you are considering. Study the map AND read all the text on those pages to fully understand what is covered by the respective pass.

For such a short trip it is tricky to find a pass that will save you a lot. You might want to look at the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland (covers travel from Bern to Grindelwald) and the SwissHalf-fare Card as alternatives to the Swiss Travel Pass.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019