Swiss Travel Pass, 1st class Bernina Express?

• Grazie
    Participant
    17 posts
    18 May 2019 at 1:12:19 #821700

Hello,

I am about to purchase our Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days. Looking at the prices, the difference between the 1st and 2nd class is quite a bit (especially for 4 people). I don’t mind traveling in 2nd class for the most part, but is it possible to buy the 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass and upgrade to 1st class JUST for the Bernina Express portion of our trip? And do I upgrade the Bernina Express when I reserve our seats or do I wait until we get to Tirano?

Thank you so much for your time.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2019 at 1:54:17 #912634

Hello Grazie

If you are travelling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass but want to travel 1st Class on any particular trip you can buy a Class upgrade at any SBB station or using the SBB Mobile App or here bit.ly/2rZEIXh. You need to buy a route specific upgrade. If you buy on line you need to nominate a Half-fare Card reduction to get the correct price. An upgrade will cost half the difference between 1st and 2nd class full-fares.

When you reserve seats on the Bernina Express you just nominate that you will be travelling with a Swiss Travel Pass. You will then just be charged for the reservations. You can make reservations BEFORE you buy the Swiss Travel Pass if you want.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 10:35:10 #912635

Hi Grazie,

In addition to the excellent information from Rockoyster you can use this link for more information on the Bernina Express: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

And details on how to use your Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse

All the best on your travels!

Maria.

Grazie
    Participant
    17 posts
    19 May 2019 at 4:41:21 #912636

Thank you Rockoyster and Maria! Really appreciate your help! I can’t wait to be there!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass, 1st class Bernina Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.