To Pilatus with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 7:40:02 #809937

Hi

I am from Sri lanka and planning to travel to Switzerland in September with my wife and daughter.

Our itinerary is as follows

15-18th September in Zurich

18-20th September in Lucerne

20-22nd September in Geneva

On 16th We have arranged a Rhine falls excursion, 19th Titilis and 21st the Chocolate train.

My Travel agent has already arranged the 2nd class Swiss travel pass for 4 days from 18th onwards, but have paid seperately for the tickets for the Chocolate train.

We are thinking of visitng Pilatus on 18th Morning. Can we use the Swiss travel pass for this trip also?

We have booked the Hotel Drei Konige in Lucerne for our stay. We will leave Zurich early morning of 18th to arrive in Lucerne to visit Pilatus. Do you think that we can make the Pilatus trip within the day?

Thank you

Roshan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 9:38:12 #855322

From my research, and am sure the experts will weigh in soon, you can definitely use the Swiss travel pass for Mt Pilatus. Wish you all the best for your trip.

We might also end up going there provided there is the chance for some remaining snow on it…fingers crossed…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 9:54:10 #855323

Dear esskay8

Thank you very much for the reply and clearing my doubts.

Roshan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 10:02:24 #855324

Check the map on this forum, it is authentic and taken from Swiss Railways. It has the routes and sites that are covered by the passes and the kind of discounts each is eligible for.

Arno
    15478 posts
    19 August 2016 at 10:58:42 #855325

Hi Roshan,

The map page esskay8 referred to explains what’s included. The Mount Pilatus trip is 50% discounted. If you also use the bus to Kriens and the boat: those are free.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 11:01:04 #855326

Dear Arno

Thank you so much.

Roshan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2016 at 3:15:13 #855327

Dear Arno

Thank you for your inputs earlier to fine tune my itenarary.

I have to visit “Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute, Schweiz, Langhaldenstrasse 21, 8803 Rüschlikon, Switzerland” on 17th September morning from my Hotel, “Hotel Welcome Inn, Kloten”

Are there direct trains/trams available to the institute from the hotel?

If Not, appreiciate if you could help me out with the directions and the mode of transport I should use.

Thank you

Roshan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2016 at 9:30:35 #855328

>> I have to visit “Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute, Schweiz, Langhaldenstrasse 21, 8803 Rüschlikon, Switzerland” on 17th September morning from my Hotel, “Hotel Welcome Inn, Kloten”

Are there direct trains/trams available to the institute from the hotel?

If Not, appreiciate if you could help me out with the directions and the mode of transport I should use.

Hi Roshan,

There are no direct trains or trams from your hotel to the Institute.

You can use the journey planner at the following link to plan your journey:

online.fahrplan.zvv.ch /bin/query.exe/en.html

I have done a journey plan for you with the following parameters:

– The “from”, “to” information you provided

– An arrival at your destination between 8am and 9am on 17 September 2016

– I have filtered the results for a maximum walk of 1 km

It is attached as a PDF. If you want to plan the journey with different parameters, you can do that at the above link. You can also see on a map how to get from your hotel to Kloten S-Bahn station as well as how to find your connecting buses and how to reach the Institute from Rüschlikon S-Bahn station or “Rüschlikon, Park im Grüene” bus stop at the other end. Zoom in for better detail.

Some terms in the journey plan:

S-Bahn – train

Niederflurbus – low-floor bus

The Institute’s website also has some instructions for getting there:

http://www.gdi.ch/en/access

As your Swiss Travel Pass is not valid on 17 September, you will need to get a ticket for this trip (and presumably for the return trip). You will need a ticket for 4 Zones: Zones 110 (which counts as 2 zones), 121 and 150.

A map of the zone network is here:

http://www.zvv.ch/zvv-assets/abos-und-tickets/zonen/tarifzon en_dez_15.pdf

If a return trip to the Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute will be your only travel for the day, a quick look at the ticket options suggests that the best ticket would be a Day Pass for 4 zones. This is valid for 24 hours and costs CHF 17,20. However, you should check the options yourself at the following link/s:

http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/trav elcards-and-tickets/tickets.html

http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/trav elcards-and-tickets/tickets/other-tickets/zuerichcard.ht ml

Information about ticket machines is here:

http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/trav elcards-and-tickets/sales-and-support/ticket-machines.html

Hope this helps.

Alpenrose

PS The attachment has an incorrect spelling for Rüschlikon, but I can’t change it, sorry!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 8:20:31 #855329

Dear Alpenrose

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and providing me with all the necessary information such as the journey planner, Maps etc.

With these information I can planout my Itenarary.

Thanks again

Roshan

• The thread ‘To Pilatus with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.