Jul 21, 2017 - 9:20 AM
Please login to see the attached documents
Hi AmnaAsif and Lucas,
I am attaching an excel file comparing the Eurail Select Pass with various days of validity and the STP. The figures are in Kuwaiti Dinars (Exchange rates for the other currencies are given at the right hand corner) and is kind of customised to my itinerary.
Summary: Though the Eurail Select Pass might look attractive monetarily albeit by a small amount, guess the benefits with the STP overrides the nominal monetary benefit.
AmnaAsif, before selecting the Eurail pass consider these points as well:
- You need to get a physical delivery of the pass.
- The pass needs to be validated in Europe before you can use it.(E-validation is also possible i guess)
- The pass needs to be filled in with details of each date and day of travel before boarding a train, else you may be subject to a fine.
4. From what i could understand, only reservation fee needs to be paid. However, the seat availability on a particular route and preferred time is not being shown unless the pass is purchased. I felt, there might be a scenario where seats may not be available on the preferred time of travel and you may have to change your plans accordingly.
- Moreover, the Eurail pass is not valid on most LOCAL transport in either of the countries where it is valid (For eg: Metro / local trains / buses / trams is not covered in France for a France - Switzerland Pass)
For the above reasons, i will be going in for the STP, and of course , local travel and sightseeing in Switzerland will be easier.
Please therefore weigh these pros and cons as well. By the way, i have purchased tickets on the TGV Leira and for my travel from Paris to Rome (highlighted in Yellow in the excel file) and this is the actual fare that i paid.
Correct me if i am mistaken in the above or the calculations attached.