Swiss Travel Pass best for my 4 day itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2017 at 6:34:15 #812796

Hey Arno,

I had to cancel my trip last minute last year due to a medical emergency. We had a comprehensive discussion then on the Swiss Travel pass 🙂

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/swiss-travel-pass-validity-on-tgv-lyria

Luckily, am able to visit Switzerland this year again for 4days. Contemplating buying the Swiss Travel Pass for 4days. Below is the itinerary:

Day 1: Travel from Zurich to Lucerne around 9am. Visit Mt.Rigis.

Day 2: Visit Mt. Titlis at morn. Relax at Lucerne. Move to Murren around 5-6pm in the evening.

Day 3: Visit JungFrauJoch in the morn based on weather.

Day 4: Relax at Murren. Travel to Zurich late evening after 6pm.

Wanted to confirm the following:

1) That the Swiss Travel pass covers all transport in this itinerary, except the last stretches in Mt.Titlis & the JungFrauJoch visit. Are the trams and the trains in Zurich also covered with Swiss Travel Pass?

2) Any reservation need on the train from Lucerne to Interlaken as i guess this is part of the Golden Pass route.

3) Any pointers on the itinerary planned? whether i should add something or remove a visit incase too hectic?

Like always, thanks a lot to you guys. You indeed make travel planning to Switzerland an easy process 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2017 at 9:42:13 #867661

Hi Roh26 and welcome back!

1. Yes, everything is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass except the train from Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch (25% discount) and from Engelberg to Mt. Titlis (50% discount).
    2. No reservation need on that route
    3. Your itinerary doesn’t seem too hectic at all – you know the best pace for yourself though. If you want some ideas of what else to do in the towns you are staying at (or near) click on the following activity links for Luzern and Mürren.

I hope that helps, let us know if you have more questions/concerns!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2017 at 8:04:41 #867662

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply 🙂

Regarding buying the tickets for JungFraujoch, i will be based in Murren. I had a few questions:

1) At which station can i check the weather in JungFrauJoch and then proceed to buy the tickets?

2) Is Credit Card accepted at these stations( be it Grindelwald or Murren or Wengen) or do i need to carry cash?

Same query regarding Mt.Titlis too. Where can i buy the tickets for that particular day? If it is indeed Engelberg station, is credit card accepted there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2017 at 9:59:02 #867663

Hi again!

I have yet to find a rail station that doesn’t accept credit cards so you should be fine. I feel like some small stations in the mountains there might be an issue but so far so good :). Always have cash on you in Switzerland though!

You can check the weather online at one of these websites.

Tickets can be bought at any rail station or online here for Mt. Titlis and here for Jungfraujoch (again good idea to wait for a reliable weather forecast. 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2017 at 11:17:47 #867664

Thanks Lucas 🙂

Regarding buying the Swiss Travel Pass online for 4days, I wanted to buy the same paying CHF(due to favorable exchange rate). Found the below 2 sites. However in terms & conditions, the travel pass is listed as not refundable incase of cancellation. Is that the case?

1) http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays/travel-in-switzerland/internatio nal-guests/swiss-travel-pass.html

2) https://www.swiss-pass.ch/swiss-pass/

Any other option for buying the Swiss Travel pass in CHF for online delivery of tickets?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2017 at 15:12:58 #867665

Hi Roh26,

If you book with http://www.swissrailways.com they have better cancellation policies, but there is always a fee involved if you cancel or change the dates of the ticket. (be sure to read their terms and conditions as well). See here for a list of websites selling the pass.

They should charge you in Swiss Franc as well if that is what you want.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 5:14:25 #867666

Mornin Lucas 🙂

Thanks for the help. Got the Passes online at sbb.ch.

Just had a few doubts regarding Mt.Titlis & JungFrauJoch. I understand a cloudy weather means there is no point visiting both these. To check the weather however before proceeding, i believe there are live webcams at stations.

1) For Mt.Titlis, since we are based out of Lucerne for 2days, which station should we ideally check the webcam from? the Lucerne Main station or proceed to Engelberg and check there?

2) For JungFrauJoch, since we are based in Murren for 2days, which would be the station at which the live webcams are available & better checked at? in Murren itself or after travelling 20mins to Lauterbrunnen?

3) Also what are the chances for any change in weather at either of these places? Say from 7-8am to maybe 10am. Do the clouds sometimes clear up in a few hrs?

4) Any good time for both these places like say 7am or 8am?

5) Also does the same cloudy weather concerns apply to even Mt.Rigi & Mt.Pilatus in August?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 5:36:21 #867667

Hi Roh26,

1. Webcams are a good idea for sure. If the weather forecast looks good for the day I would just take a quick check before leaving your hotel or check again before Engelberg if you can.
    2. I’m not sure if any train stations carry a live feed of the webcams for the top of the mountains…I’ve never noticed that feature on some mountains I’ve visited, but I haven’t been to Mt. Titlis or Jungfraujoch yet.
    3. Yes, definitely the weather can change at those altitudes and get better or worse. IF it looks bad in the morning have another look around 12pm
    4. I’m not sure if a set time that is typically good at the mountains…other members may have some words of wisdom though. 🙂
    5. Yes, anytime really. If the weather forecast looks good and does the webcam then I would be confident to go. Plan on spending a few hours at the top in case the weather does change. Mt. Titlis is easier to be confident about as you can see from Luzern if the weather looks good in the area. 🙂
  • The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass best for my 4 day itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.