Swiss Travel Pass for 5 days Lucerne & Interlaken

Swiss Travel Pass for 5 days Lucerne & Interlaken

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
suhsientan
suhsientan
15 posts
Aug 27, 2017 - 9:23 AM

My family of 4 will be travelling to Switzerland from 1st - 5th July 2018. Our tentative itinerary is as follows:

1st July - Geneva airport to Interlaken. We shld arrive Geneva airport by noon.

2nd July - Day trip Grindelweld and Jungfraujoch

3rd July - Interlaken - Lucern, Explore Lucern city

4th July - Mount Tiltis

5th July - Take Bernina Express to Tirano. We are heading to Rome from Tirano.

How many days pass should I purchase to enjoy all of these? I would appreciate if you could advise me on this matter. Also, appreciate to advise if this itinerary is reasonable.

Lucas
Lucas
8830 posts
expert &
Aug 27, 2017 - 10:51 AM in reply to suhsientan

Hi suhsientan and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Travel Pass is a good option. Note that you can only buy the pass for 3, 4, 8 or 15 days.
IF you don't want to buy it for either 4 or 8 days you can also look at the Swiss Half Fare Card which gets you 50% off all trips you take in Switzerland. You still have to buy tickets for each trip (most of the time you don't with the Swiss Travel Pass) but it could be a good alternative.

Also, please note that you must buy reservations on the Bernina Express (with or without any rail pass).

You can buy reservations on the Bernina Express here (though it is much to early for 2018).
You can buy your Swiss Travel Pass here and/or your Swiss Half Fare Card here - again too early to worry about it. But good to read about it now. :)

Lucas

suhsientan
suhsientan
15 posts
Aug 27, 2017 - 10:59 AM

Thank you Lucas for your prompt reply. I will bear in mind your recommendation when its time to purchase the relevant passes.

On the other hand, we are also going to Italy. May I know what's the different in benefits if I purchase the 2 country rail passes for Italy/Switzerland.

Could you also advise me on how to go about my day venture to Jungfraujoch and Mount Tiltis?

Many thanks

Susan

Lucas
Lucas
8830 posts
expert &
Aug 27, 2017 - 11:07 AM in reply to suhsientan

Hi Susan,

You can read about the Eurail Select Pass here. It would be a good idea then to plan out all your trips while in Switzerland and Italy and compare the cost of the rail passes to each other. We have a web page here to help you with this (along with an Excel sheet to help you do the math)!

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out your trips. For details on how to get to your mountains/attractions click on the activity you want here (it is a list of the most popular in Switzerland) and once on the relevant page click on the route tab. IE Jungfraujoch here and Mt. Titlis here.

Lucas

Bill260
Bill260
6 posts
Aug 28, 2017 - 2:53 PM

hello

may I ask a question about Triano.rail station. we are also taking the bernina

express to Triano and plan to take train to Milan on Saturday sept 16. are tickets easy and

available to purchase on day of trip in Triano?

bill

Lucas
Lucas
8830 posts
expert &
Aug 28, 2017 - 4:40 PM in reply to Bill260

Hi Bill,

Often seats on Italian trains are reserved so it is a good idea to book ahead - plus tickets are usually quite a bit more when buying on the day of travel.

You can find links to buy tickets for Italy here.

Lucas

Bill260
Bill260
6 posts
Aug 28, 2017 - 6:57 PM in reply to Lucas

Hi lucas looking at train site referenced above it may be possible?? Does my Swiss rail pass cover fare from Trianon to Milan? Thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
3908 posts
expert
Aug 29, 2017 - 2:51 AM in reply to Bill260

Hi Bill,

No, Tirano to Milan is not covered. Swiss Travel Pass only covers train journeys within and up to Swiss borders.

Lucas
Lucas
8830 posts
expert &
Aug 29, 2017 - 6:29 AM in reply to Bill260

Yes, you'll have to buy a ticket to Milan from Tirano. You can do this on my link above. I'm not sure what you mean by "it may be possible??"

Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018