Buy Swiss Travel Pass in Zurich or online?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2017 at 9:09:04 #813416

Hi,

Anyone knows what is the operating hours for the rail office. I wanted to purchase the swiss travel pass when i arrive at Zurich around 6.30 am or is it better for me to purchase online and can they email me the pass so that i can print out.

Pls advise. Thank you. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 October 2017 at 11:45:56 #870493

Welcome to MySwissAlps Timark39!

I’m not sure if the train station ticket office at the airport opens 6:15 AM or 7:00 AM, but in any case it is much easier to buy online. That way you can print the pass at home and board the first available train immediately, rather than spending time at the office and possibly miss that train. Also if you get the pass through email you’ll have a handy backup in case you need to print it again (if you lose or damage the pass).

You can buy the pass from the SBB tourist webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days, but usually within hours. More purchase options are listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 0:31:37 #870494

Hi Arno, thanks for your rely. Can i check also is there a certain timing for the Glacier express train from Zermatt to St Mortiz. Must i make a reservation if i am purchasing the swiss travel pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 1:19:00 #870495

>> Can i check also is there a certain timing for the Glacier express train from Zermatt to St Mortiz.

The Glacier Express runs most of the year, except for a period from late October to early December. In 2017, the closure period is 23 October to 9 December 2017. During the time when the Glacier Express is not running, you can travel along the same route in regional trains, with a few changes of train along the way. The regional trains don’t require reservations, don’t have panoramic windows, and don’t offer catering.

The number of Glacier Express departures per day varies from 1 to 3 according to the time of year. (Regional trains run along the same route more frequently.)

You can see the summer and winter timetables here:

Glacier Express 15.05.2017 – 22.10.2017

http://www.glacierexpress.ch/ en/travel-planning/timetables/

Glacier Express 10.12.2017 – 09.05.2018

http://www.glacierexpress.ch/ en/travel-planning/timetables/ti metables/

>> Must i make a reservation if i am purchasing the swiss travel pass.

Yes, reservations for the Glacier Express are compulsory, and can be made here:

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 3:11:13 #870496

Hi, must i purchase the swiss travel pass before i make resevation ?

any rcommendation for good seats. I am going from zermatt to st mortiz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 7:09:27 #870497

>> Hi, must i purchase the swiss travel pass before i make resevation ?

No, you can make the reservation before you get a Swiss Travel Pass, but must have both when you board the train.

>> any rcommendation for good seats. I am going from zermatt to st mortiz

Just choose window seats. You can’t tell from the seating plan which way the carriage is facing. Apart from that, the train changes direction in Chur, and you end up on the other side of the train and facing the other way between there and St Moritz.

Heading in the direction of Chur from Zermatt, I think the best views are on the right until the Rhein Gorge (from about Ilanz), where the best views are on the left. Then from Chur to St Moritz, the best view of the Landwasser Viadukt is on the right.

If there are empty unreserved seats, you can move around. That would only happen in low season.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 9:25:20 #870498

Wow… that’s great.

the low season will be in mid oct ?

thanks so much for your reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 14:25:38 #870499

Yes, high-season is generally mid to late June to mid-September.

Although there is a an uptick around Christmas and winter months for skiing and holidays.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2017 at 14:37:54 #870500

Thaks Lucas

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    5 October 2017 at 14:39:45 #870501

I just returned from Switzerland. One little tidbit I discovered when taking the RhB from Chur to Filisur at about 10:00 am (don’t recall the schedule). The front half of the train is “local” and the back half was the “Glacier Express.” You see the same sights from the front as the back without an extra cost reservation. I was under the impression that the trains leaving Chur from about 09:00 to 11:00 were only GEX. I also had the opportunity to speak with two local high school girls sharing my seating area regarding their wonderful English, when they began learning multiple languages, what subjects they are taking and what their thoughts were about living in a country and area surrounded by wonderful landscapes every day. The conversation made me forget to look out the window! If you ask someone if they speak English, many do and 99% of them with even a poor knowledge are more than willing to try and converse with you and help you. A smile always helps.

• The thread ‘Buy Swiss Travel Pass in Zurich or online?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.