Swiss Travel Pass – class upgrade options

• charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    6 May 2018 at 16:00:21 #815776

We have not yet purchased the Swiss Travel Pass but have booked seat reservations on the Glacier Express and the GoldenPass in lst class.

Since we have these reservations in first class are we requirred to buy the Swiss Travel Pass at the first class rate or can we buy at the second class rate

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 16:36:29 #884427

To travel in First class you need a first class ticket or rail pass yes.

You can buy an upgrade ticket for those two train rides if you wish, at the station before you board the train.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    6 May 2018 at 16:58:19 #884428

To confirm I can use my second class Swiss Travel Pass and buy an upgrade ticket for Glacier Express from St.Moritz to Zermatt and an upgrade ticket from Interlaken ost to Montreaux?

Where would I find out how much that is for each of those train travels during July (high season)

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 2:17:14 #884429

>> To confirm I can use my second class Swiss Travel Pass and buy an upgrade ticket for Glacier Express from St.Moritz to Zermatt

Yes.

>> and an upgrade ticket from Interlaken ost to Montreaux?

Yes, but I wouldn’t bother travelling first class between Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen, which is just an ordinary train. The train with panoramic windows just runs between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

>> Where would I find out how much that is for each of those train travels during July (high season)

The cost of an upgrade from second class to first class with a Swiss Travel Pass will be half the difference between the first-class and second-class fares for the sector.

You can find out the fares by using the Swiss Timetable to search for the connection, then clicking on the ticket symbol in a red box.

If you look under the heading Travel Options on the page that opens, you can see the amount required to upgrade from a second-class half fare to a first-class half fare. This is the same as the extra amount you will need to pay to upgrade from second class to first class with a Swiss Travel Pass.

Alpenrose

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    7 May 2018 at 11:11:29 #884430

Yesterday when I made this post I also sent an email to the train station….this is what I got in reply?

Good Day:

If you have a reservation in 1st class than you have to buy the swiss Travel Pass in 1st class.

Best regards

Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2018 at 15:06:37 #884431

I guess they did not understand your question. Whether you have a 1st class Swiss Travel Pass or a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass + upgrade ticket does not matter.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – class upgrade options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.