Swiss Travel Pass – Advice requested

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2015 at 11:37:53 #807781

Hi MySwissAlps forum,

I am seeking some advice on train costs and if its worth purchasing a consecutive Swiss Travel Pass. My question is multi-staged so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. My boyfriend and I will be travelling to Interlaken West from Paris in mid-September and have already purchased the train fare for the first leg of the journey from Paris to Basel. I have yet to purchase the Basel to Interlaken Leg (not sure what the cost of this is?) but I am undecided on what is the best option i.e. if I purchase a one-way ticket or purchase a Swiss Travel Pass (which I think would cover the cost of the train- is this correct?)

2. Once we arrive in Interlaken we have 3.5 days to explore the region. If time permits we’d like to see the following:

– Jungfraujoch

– Schilthorn

– Schynige Platte

– Harder Klum

Is this possible? Or does this seem unrealistic? I note this itinerary is all weather dependent. Would visiting these four places alone justify the cost of obtaining the Swiss Travel Pass? …noting that the full cost of the journeys are not covered completely by the Pass. Is it worth purchasing the specific Jungfraujoch regional pass or sticking with the overall Swiss Travel Pass?

3. From Interlaken we will travel to Lucerne and spend another 3.5 days in that region and would like to see both:

– Mt Rigi and

– Mt Pilatus

I have read that the cost of the Mt Rigi transportation is included in the Swiss Travel Pass. Is this correct?

4. From Lucerne we will travel to Zurich for another 2 days – but as I am looking at the possibility of purchasing the 8 days pass, our journeys would then need to be paid individually. Is it easy to get around Zurich on foot? Alternatively is it better to get a day pass or the ZurichCARD from a cost perspective?

I have asked a lot of questions, but would appreciate any feedback. We are travelling from Australia and this will be our first trip to Switzerland so we are very excited to see as much as we can (within reason). I know it will be an expensive leg of our trip and hence why I am trying to see what our best options are. Thanks in advance for any assistance given!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 August 2015 at 12:32:40 #845478

Thanks for your post missjasminr!

Your plans are realistic, if (like you said) the weather cooperates. Be sure to have some alternatives in mind. You’ll find suggestions on myswissalps.com/ interlaken.

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass sounds like a good option. Since you won’t be traveling long distances it’s worth it to compare it with a Swiss Half Fare Card as explained here.

A Swiss Travel Pass indeed includes trains from Basel to Interlaken and all other trains in Switzerland. You don’t need tickets and can simply board with your pass. Mount Rigi is included as well (trains, boats and cable car). Please see the Swiss Travel Pass page I linked to, and click “Where it’s valid” to find more details. Also be sure to check the “Discounts” section as you’ll get a discount if you buy your pass in time.

In Zurich you can easily explore the city center on foot. It depends on what you want to do whether or not you need an additional pass there. Apart from the ZurichCARD there are other day passes and point to point tickets too, which are cheaper but do not include museums.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2015 at 20:48:38 #845479

Thank you Arno for responding so quickly! It is greatly appreciated.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2015 at 22:39:45 #845480

<<“In Zurich you can easilyexplore the city center on foot. It depends on what you want to dowhether or not you need an additional pass there. Apart from theZurichCARD there are other day passes and point to point tickets too,which are cheaper but do not include museums.In Zurich you can easilyexplore the city center on foot. It depends on what you want to dowhether or not you need an additional pass there. Apart from theZurichCARD there are other day passes and point to point tickets too,which are cheaper but do not include museums.”>>

The ZVV (Zürich Verkehrs Vehrein) has an office in the lower level of the Züri main station. Recently re-located to the newly refurbished section of Shopville.

They can help you choose which variety of day card makes sense. Depends a lot on how many “zones” (outside central Zürich) you wish to explore. The purchase options are sufficiently complex that I have to stop and think – and often pick the wrong one, costing me 3 CHF more per day …;-(…

You can walk downtown Zürich and the old city easily. Trams are convenient, but you do not need them.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2015 at 5:22:06 #845481

Thanks Slowpoke – there seems to be many options. We might try to get around on foot as much as we can but I will make sure to check out the ZVV once we arrive.

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 August 2015 at 8:34:49 #845482

If you don’t have a Swiss Travel Pass while in Zurich (it covers all transportation), it’s worth having a look at http://www.zvv.ch for all the options. Although it’s probably quicker to visit the office Slowpoke mentioned and explain about your plans. They will get you the best ticket/pass. Basically it’s pretty simple: there are day passes for the zones (areas) you plan to travel in. They’re valid for all modes of transport within that area. What makes it complex is that there are lots of variants of those passes.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2015 at 12:15:17 #845483

Here is a map of the station with Shopville.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/bahnhofplaene/plan-zuerich-hb-shopping.pdf

Double check location 109…main floor. The Zurich Tourist Info may still be there and it is easier to get to first; ZVV is a bit harder to find.. They will have a good “walking around” map, too.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 August 2015 at 12:50:45 #845484

<<“What makes it complex is that there are lots of variants of those passes.”>>

Yep. And, to add to the complxity you can add extra zones to an exisitingg pass….buried somewhere in the menus.

Zürich is definitely small enough tobe walkable, but the network of trams and buses is so dense that it is easy to hop on/hop off. Just don’t get caught without a valid ticket/pass. The fine is noticeable.

I have a 1/2 fare resident’s card, so I always use that. A simple tram ride then is about 3 franks. For round numbers – call it 5 franks with no discount. The ticket is good for about an hour….as much riding as you can do. You might return within an hour, but, if not, each tram ride – say up to the Zoo or the cemetery to visit James Joyce, and return can cost you about 10 franks Day passes usually pay for them selves with about 4 one way trips, but there are so many variations, it is hard to be sure, and more zones add more cost…….

Many tram station ticket machines only take cash. More and more take credit cards these days.

There is also something called a “9 o’clock ” (“neun Uhr”) card that gives rides all day tilll midnight. if i recall correctly. Zones, again….

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – Advice requested’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.