Tunnels discounted 50% with Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2018 at 7:17:37 #818516

I would like to buy two Swiss Travel Passes and use them to travel from Lugano to Lucerne or Chiasso to Lucerne via the EC or IC trains (starting the trip in Milan, but paying for the short inexpensive journey in to Switzerland to use the pass). However, on the Swiss Travel Pass map, it shows the routes through Gotthard Base Tunnel as only being a 50% discount and not the GA area. However I can’t find out how to book those tickets online in advance at the 50% rate. Will I be able to do this after buying the pass? Or is it required to go to the station (Chiasso) and buy the ticket? I don’t want to risk a full train (the time we need is already listed as being near full on the SBB site!)

Also, is it possible to pay for the EC train journey in to the first stop in Switzerland then just stay on the train for the rest of the journey? Again this would likely require paying for the 50% discounted part of the trip (if possible) unless it’s possible to pay on board?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2018 at 8:29:27 #896901

Hi seatosky and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Tunnels like the Gotthard Base Tunnel are are with the Swiss Travel Pass. https://www.myswi ssalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.
    It is easy to confuse the dotted lines on the map (50% off) with the dashed lines indicated tunnels that are fully covered as normal. One day SBB may change how they look on the map!

So you just need a ticket from Milan to Chiasso (no need to change trains normally in Chiasso) and then the Swiss Travel Pass fully covers the rest of the trip to Lucerne.

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy/price

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 September 2018 at 8:51:45 #896902

You’re not the only one confused about tunnels Seatosky 🙂

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/quick-ques-how-to-buy-train-tickets-with-stp

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2018 at 8:52:51 #896903

Now that I’m looking in detail, it makes sense…!

Are EC trains from Milan operated by SBB or Italy? Is seat reservation necessary for the whole trip?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2018 at 14:52:38 #896904

Trains running between Switzerland and Italy could be either Swiss or Italian. The operator doesn’t matter though – only the route you are on.

Seat reservations are advised and needed on international trains yes: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

They normally be included on any international train ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2018 at 15:35:52 #896905

Thanks so much for your help, this site is essential for navigating the unfamiliar intricacies of the Swiss rail system, can’t wait for my trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2018 at 23:48:24 #896906

It really is time the Swiss travel system ‘synoptic map’ was changed. It tries to show too much with too few colours. They need to find a way of showing tunnels that is not similar to one of the line styles that indicates the discount rate

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2018 at 5:54:48 #896907

I wholeheartedly agree on that!

• The thread ‘Tunnels discounted 50% with Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.