Swiss Travel Pass and Family Card usage

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 19:45:08 #815912

Hi, I am already having Swiss Travel pass and I will be travelling to Europe in Jul 18.

Family card is free along with Swiss travel pass if we travel together with family.

1. Can I take family card now itself online or I need to collect from Switzerland only?

2. With Swiss Travel pass and Family card, my 8 yrs old kid will be free for Jungfraouch or I need to buy ticket for my kid?

3. Do we need reservation for Train to Jungfrauch? Is it recommended to buy ticket in advance since I will be travelling in pick time. If there is no reservation required for jungfraouch train that whta will I achieve by purchasing ticket in advance?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 May 2018 at 22:46:51 #884962

Hello Sandeepmody and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

1. If you didn’t order a Swiss Family Card when you bought your Swiss Travel Pass you can pick one up at any manned station in Switzerland.

2. Your child will travel free with Swiss Family Card.

3. It is best to wait to see if the weather is favourable before buying tickets. Reservation are not essential but if you want to know more about how they work read here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 3:55:56 #884963

Thanks Rockoyster.

I repeat, you mean to say that ,along with Swiss travel pass and family card, my 8 yrs old kid’s ticket is not required for Jungfrauch journey. I will have to purchase mine and my wife’s ticket only for Jungfrauch . Correct me if i am wrong.

Also if I dont buy our Jungfrauch ticket in advance then will it not get full? I am travelling in Jul 2018 which is peak season.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 May 2018 at 4:03:52 #884964

I’m not entirely sure whether your child needs a free ticket for Jungfraujoch. Someone else can no doubt confirm or otherwise just ask them at the ticket office when you buy your discounted tickets. In any case your chid will travel free – which is the main thing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 16:39:58 #884965

No ticket needed for the child no.

Sometimes on mountain trips you need to get a ticket to get through the gate/turnstile for cable cars but that wouldn’t be the case on a train trip. Just the adults will need to buy tickets (with the discount for the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2018 at 7:16:52 #884966

>> Also if I dont buy our Jungfrauch ticket in advance then will it not get full? I am travelling in Jul 2018 which is peak season.

As you are aware, July is peak period for the Jungfraujoch, and it will be extremely busy. If I were to do that trip in July, I think I would make a reservation. You would most likely get up there eventually without a reservation, especially if you started out early in the day, but might have to wait a long time in a queue.

Reservations are separate from tickets, and are only available for the final sector of the trip, from Kleine Scheidegg to the Jungfraujoch, and must be made for a return journey. This then commits you to a particular train both up and back. A return reservation will cost CHF 10, and is not for a particular seat, but for the “reserved seats” carriage, which is separate from the carriages for people without reservations. There will be signs to direct you to the appropriate carriages depending on whether or not you have a reservation.

Your child will not need a ticket, but if you make reservations, you will also need to make (and pay for) a reservation for your child, otherwise they cannot occupy a seat in the reserved seats carriage.

Reservations – once made – are not refundable and can’t be exchanged for another date. So don’t buy it any earlier than the day before, after checking the weather forecast and satisfying yourself that the weather will be clear. You can get reservations from any staffed railway station in the Jungfrau Region, e.g. Wengen, Grindelwald.

Weather can be checked here:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/weather/#jungf raujoch

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 17:04:28 #884967

Hi

can you let me know about mt titlis as well? Family card with 8 yr old kid required ticket or full discount?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 18:39:41 #884968

If you have the Swiss Family Card the children never need to pay. But as noted you usually have to line up to get a ticket with a bar code to access cable cars.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 18:44:25 #884969

Thanks Lucas. But i will buy Mt Titlis tickets online which will contain cable car journey as well. Then I need not stand in the queue . Right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 18:53:25 #884970

If everyone has a ticket upon arrival then you don’t need to go to the ticket office.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 0:34:15 #884971

>> i will buy Mt Titlis tickets online which will contain cable car journey as well. Then I need not stand in the queue . Right?

To board the Titlis gondola, you need a credit-card sized cardboard card with a barcode on it.

As far as I know, these are only available from the valley station of the Titlis gondola. I expect that anything you order on line will need to be exchanged for the card when you get there, so you would still have to queue at the ticket window.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 0:49:56 #884972

Yes, whether or not your ticket has that barcode will be the deciding factor.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 3:37:59 #884973

Ohh then it seems no benefit in purchasing tickets online.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass and Family Card usage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.