Swiss Travel Pass and Golden Pass line

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2017 at 16:21:04 #812394

Hi,

From your page on the Swiss Travel Pass, I see that the journey from Montreux to Lucerne is included in the pass. Does this apply for the return journey also? Also, is it same for all the various routes mentioned on this page. Is the pass valid for both to and fro journeys between all cities mentioned in this page? Also reservation is not mandatory in the Golden Pass line and I can find an empty seat right? What if I can find one? Can I still take the train?

Nitin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 June 2017 at 16:26:07 #865713

Welcome to MySwissAlps Nitin!

Yes the return is free as well. Direction of travel does not matter on any of the routes on the map.

Indeed reservations are not required but that does not guarantee a seat. You can always board the train though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2017 at 16:35:49 #865714

Thanks for the quick response. A similar question because I wanna be absolutely sure.

For the trip from Lucern to Mt Pilatus, I found the following route on this website.

Section 1: by train or boat from the rail station in Lucerne to Alpnachstad;

Section 2: by cogwheel train to the peak of Mount Pilatus;

Section 3: by cable car down to Fräkmüntegg;

Section 4: by gondola down to Kriens;

Section 5: by bus back to the rail station of Lucerne.

Are all these sections covered using the Swiss Travel Pass? As I understand from the page, it says till section 2 is free. If I take the same route back (Pilatus to Alpnachstad and then to Lucern) that would also be within the Swiss Travel Pass free ride right?

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 June 2017 at 16:45:37 #865715

Hi Nitin,

All of that is free, regardless of the order or direction of travel. Have fun!

lpj0508
    Participant
    6 posts
    25 June 2017 at 14:03:27 #865716

Hi,

I just returned from my Switzerland trip in Jun and did this tour (cable car up, cogwheel down). I had the same confusion over whether or not the trip is covered by Swiss Travel Pass. Online, there seems to be conflicting information. On the day itself, I went to Lucerne train station and enquired. Turned out that there is a charge of 65CHF for 2 adults with the Swiss Travel Pass. Maybe another member can chip in to confirm this. (hope I’ve not been conned by the station staff)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 14:08:39 #865717

Yeah, I’m confused as well. The map in in SBB page shows the route to be included in the Swiss Travel Pass(with solid line instead of dashed lines). But I have read multiple instances of it being charged. I dont really know which to believe.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 June 2017 at 15:04:15 #865718

Hi lpj0508 and nitinpprasad,

The Pilatus trip is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. The map is decisive. Information saying otherwise is outdated. The PDF pricelist on the Pilatus website confirms this too: http://www.pilatus.ch/en/book ing/mountain-railway-prices/ (it shows “included”).

Lpj0508, they have made a mistake if you paid for that ride in June 2017. If you still have the tickets you can scan them and attach them here. Perhaps I can see what went wrong.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass and Golden Pass line’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.