Swiss Travel Pass and Lake Geneva Regional Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2019 at 5:53:56 #823204

Hello,

I will be in Switzerland for 6 days and plan on getting the Swiss Travel Pass for 4 consecutive days. I’m debating about buying the Regional Geneva pass in addition to the Swiss Travel Pass so that I will use the 2 free days (of the 5 day pass) before I use the Swiss Travel Pass.

I read the following in the pricing page for the Regional Geneva Pass:

20% discount applies to the pass price if you have a valid Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass at the time of traveling;

Could someone please help explain if my situation above qualifies me for the “valid” Swiss Travel Pass at the time of traveling?

I will not start using the Swiss Travel Pass 4 consecutive days until AFTER I use the Regional Geneva Pass (because of my itinerary) and so I didn’t know if that is still considered to be having a “valid” pass at the time of traveling.

Second question — I will be traveling with my child who is 10 years old. I will get the Swiss Family Card when I buy the Swiss Travel Pass. Will he need a ticket or the Junior Card, for when I use the Regional Pass?

Thank you very much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    3 August 2019 at 6:19:03 #919204

Hi awng, welcome to MySwissAlps!

The discounted fare for a Regional-Pass Lake Geneva-Alps only applies if you have a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card that’s valid during the Regional Pass validity period. So if your Swiss Travel Pass starts after the Regional Pass period, you can’t profit from this discount. The arrangement assumes you’ll be having both passes at the same time (which is often not the most obvious choice for travelers).

Children’s options for the Regional Pass Lake Geneva Alps are explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpasslakegeneva/p rice. A Junior Travelcard, to be bought once you’re in Switzerland, would be the best choice: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju niortravelcard.

You’ll find purchase options for the passes you need at

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2019 at 15:06:24 #919205

Hi Annika, your post answered my question exactly. Thank you!

I’ve one additional question about the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Family Card. I read that the Swiss Travel pass includes free entrance to certain sights such as museums and castles. Does the free entrance only applies to the adult or also a child who holds the Swiss Family Card?

Thank you again!

Annika
    7121 posts
    5 August 2019 at 5:44:20 #919206

Hi awng!

Yes, free entrance is available to both adults and children holding valid Swiss Travel Passes and a Swiss Family Card. You’ll find a link to participating museums at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/details.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass and Lake Geneva Regional Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.