Swiss Travel Pass, buying additional tickets

• Ouman_inokc
    Participant
    11 posts
    2 June 2022 at 21:22:02 #827393

Hello I hope I didn’t miss this question somewhere if so I apologize. My question is if I have the Swiss Travel Pass and i’m going on a train that it only pays a portion of do i book on SBB or just go to the train and pay the extra as i board?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    3 June 2022 at 8:12:42 #942803

Hi Ouman inokc,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

The Swiss Travel Pass is valid nationwide in Switzerland. The pass allows unlimited free travelling on public transport and discounted travelling on most mountain transportation such as cable cars, gondolas and cogwheel trains. If for instance you are planning a mountain excursion and need to arrange for a discounted ticket, you can purchase the tickets from the ticket counter or ticket machines.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Anna

Ouman_inokc
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 June 2022 at 12:25:11 #942804

Anna thank you for your response. I knew this was one of the options I just wasn’t sure if this was better than booking on sbb app with possible lines at the stations as I will be there in July.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2022 at 21:17:22 #942805

The one thing you can’t do on Swiss trains is to buy a ticket on board.

For any lines that you need a ticket, you can buy one at a mountain railway base station .

Ouman_inokc
    Participant
    11 posts
    3 June 2022 at 23:40:26 #942806

Yes i know and thank you.Can anyone tell me if i should use the sbb app for any tickets if i have STP?

Anna
    6362 posts
    4 June 2022 at 6:43:19 #942807

Hi Ouman inokc,

With the Swiss Travel Pass, you don’t need tickets to travel on public transports (train, buses, boats). In most cases, you only need need tickets for mountain excursions e.g. funiculars, cable cars, gondolas and cogwheel trains. These are usually run by private operators so tickets are not available or sold by the SBB. You’d have to arrange to get the discounted tickets from the counter or ticket machines. Some mountain destinations also sell tickets online.

More info here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse (scroll down to the Tickets section)

The SBB app is still a great tool to check train schedules.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass, buying additional tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.