Swiss Travel Pass – crossing border to Italy

• ha34ha2002
    Participant
    1 post
    25 April 2023 at 8:54:20 #829687

Hi all,

I will travel to Switzerland and Italy in May this year. I am curious about the use of the Swiss Travel Pass for crossing the border.

As I went through the forum, I already know I will need a ticket for the travel between Chiasso to Milan Centrale (My Destination in Italy). However, I am curious whether I can just ride those direct trains straightly from Luzern to Milan Centrale.

For example, according to my search, I can ride a train [EC] from Arth-Goldau to Milan Centrale or another train [RE 80] from Lugano to Milan Centrale. Can I just take these trains directly to Milan Centrale without getting off the train wehn I have my Swiss Travel Pass together with my ticket from Chiasso to Milan Centrale? Or I will need to take off and change my train ?

In addition, is a day pass necessary for my travel from Chiasso to Milan Centrale so that I can ride on whichever train [EC] or [RE 80]?

I am new to travelling between countries in Europe. Thanks so much for your help!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    25 April 2023 at 15:58:23 #953770

Hi ha34ha2002,

Welcome to MySwiss Alps.

If you are travelling to Italy with a Swiss Travel Pass, you just need a ticket for the Italian leg of your journey. For instance if you’re travelling from Lucerne to Milan, the Swiss Travel Pass provides free travelling from Lucerne to Chiasso. From Chiasso to Milan, you are required to have a valid ticket. You can purchase this ticket from any SBB station. Options to purchase online are available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

If you book a direct train, there is no need to get off in Chiasso. You can remain seated for the whole train journey until Milan.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – crossing border to Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.