Swiss Travel Pass discounts

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2015 at 3:34:13 #807059

Without a Swiss Travel Pass, it appears that a single adult would pay 50 CHF to go from Zurich to Bern in August, 262 CHF to go from Bern to Gornergrat and return, 261 CHF from Bern to Jungfraujoch and return, and 50 CHF from Bern to Geneva (all 2nd class). A Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days (2nd class) costs 363 CHF, a considerable saving. However, it seems that the trips to Gornergrat and Jungfraujoch may not be free with the pass (only 25% seems to be the discount for Jungfraujoch, and I’m not sure about Gornergrat). Can you please explain how much extra I would need to pay for these two trips if I have a Pass? And a trip from Bern to Interlaken if I have a pass? Free? What about Bern to Lucerne and then up Mt Pilatus? Are those trips covered free by the Travel Pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15479 posts
    9 April 2015 at 8:31:23 #842377

Hi johnhalf,

The standard prices you found are correct. With a Swiss Travel Pass, all town to town trains, buses and boats are free so you don’t need tickets. Cogwheel trains/cable cars to the peaks are discounted by 50%. Jungfraujoch is an exception: free to Wengen or Grindelwald, and 25% off of the remaining leg. Mount Rigi is an exception as well: it’s free. You can best download the map as all of this can be verified there.

As for the pass itself: you got the price right, but that’s the local more expensive price. An online purchase in your currency (AUD) is almost 10% cheaper as you can see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2015 at 10:59:07 #842378

Thanks Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2015 at 4:53:46 #842379

Thanks for your help.

On our last day in Switzerland, we travel from Bern to Annecy in France, via Genève. Am I right that the Swiss Travel Pass will cover us free only as far as Genève?

Arno
    15479 posts
    10 April 2015 at 10:00:30 #842380

You’re welcome! Yes, the trip is basically covered to Geneva. A bit more perhaps, depending on your route as there are a few bus lines from Geneva to the border (see the map), but I would recommend to keep things simple: free to Geneva, and from there, you need a ticket into France.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass discounts’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.