Swiss Travel Pass Flex – shipping options

• Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    16 July 2017 at 2:02:41 #812637

We are planning a hiking trip from September 1-10 and will be arriving in Zurich and taking trains to stay in Wengen for 4 days then traveling to Zermatt (Riffelalp) for 3 days then leave from Zurich. Since we only have 3 travel days I thought the Swiss travel pass flex would be our best option. I could not find an option to buy online and print an email ticket. Only option was to have mailed to me at CHF 20 or pick up at Zurich airport CHF15. Are these the only options?I know I will have to buy the Jungfrau pass to have access to gondolas and cog trains. Does that come in email form or do I need to buy in Switzerland? And do I get half off with the Swiss travel pass flex card. Thanks Mark

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 9:15:22 #866910

Hi Mark,

Even though you only have 3 “travel” days, the Swiss Travel Pass Flex may not be the best option (price-wise). You still will be traveling on all days in Switzerland: by train, or bus, or gondola/cable car I bet?

Instead you may want to look at a longer Swiss Travel Pass(perhaps 8 day). This way you have coverage for almost all your trips within Switzerland (see coverage area here) and no need to buy tickets for every trip. The main exception is Jungfraujoch were you need to buy a ticket (with 25% discount) from Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch (if you are planning on going there). The trip to Zermatt will be free and trains or cable cars there will be mostly discounted.

The other option would be to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card and the Jungfrau Travel Pass. This way, when you are outside the Jungfrau region, you will get 50% off all trips. The Swiss Half Fare card entitles you to a 25% discount on the cost of the Jungfrau Travel Pass.

The Swiss Half Fare Card and the Swiss Travel Pass can be bought online and emailed to you for printing at home. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex as you noted, must be shipped to you, and the Jungfrau Travel Pass must be shipped or you get an emailed voucher to be exchanged at a rail station.

Lucas

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    16 July 2017 at 14:57:08 #866911

Thanks, I understand the Swiss travel pass is not good past Lauderbrunnen and I would need a Jungfrau pass or just pay as I go for trains and gondolas around Wengen. The same goes for area around Riffelalp, the Swiss pass doesn’t work. That’s why I only have 3 travel days. Half fair card works but still more than 3 day flex card providing I get discount on Jungfrau pass with flex pass which I believe I do.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 15:24:53 #866912

Hi Mark,

The Swiss Travel Pass is valid for almost all trips you take around Switzerland including the Jungfrau region (beyond Lauterbrunnen). Be sure to open my link above about the coverage area. There is a PDF map that you can look through and a list of major attractions that are included fully or partially.

Granted, the Jungfrau Travel Pass will give you better coverage /discounts in the Jungfrau region though! It may be worth the cost depending on all the routes/trips you will take over your trip.

In the end, perhaps a Swiss Half Fare Card and the Jungfrau Travel Pass is the best bet for you…The only way to know for sure is to read through our web page here. It includes an Excel spreadsheet to help you do the math and compare prices between all the rail pass and normal point to point tickets.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Flex – shipping options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.