Montreux to Geneva with Swiss Travel Pass Flex

• munichmaria1
    Participant
    12 posts
    1 April 2018 at 23:59:20 #815095

If we travel from Montreux to Geneva on our Swiss Travel Flex pass is this considered one of the travel days (we have Swiss Travel Flex Pass for four days). 1: Zurich to Lucerne 2) Luzerne to Montreaux, 3 Montreaux to Geneva 4) Geneva to Interlaken.

We then are travelling Interlaken to Salzburg. My question is should we activate the pass in Lucerne instead of Zurich which would then cover the trip to Salzburg at the end.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 April 2018 at 2:12:43 #880671

A travel day is considered to be whatever date you write on the Pass as a travel day. Neither Zurich to Lucerne or Montreux to Geneva really warrant using a day from your Flex allocation unless you have no further use for your allocation. Interlaken to the Swiss Border would cost more than either of those trips so best to use a day there.

Check the individual ticket prices using the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). Use the SBB timetable on the right.

Do I understand correctly that you are staying overnight in Montreux then going to Geneva?

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 April 2018 at 7:50:30 #880672

Hi Munichmaria1,

Rockoyster answered your question, but apart from that I wonder if the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is the right choice for you. Note that you won’t get any discounts or free traveling on other days than the 4 included in the pass. So day trips can become expensive, unless you have another pass on those days. In many cases the Swiss Travel Pass is the simpler and cheaper option, even if you don’t maximize it’s usage every single day. I don’t know your full itinerary though, so if you’ve done the math it might be ok.

munichmaria1
    Participant
    12 posts
    2 April 2018 at 12:19:01 #880673

Thank you for this reply. Am I to understand that the flex travel pass only allows discounts on the 4 days that you have chosen? Here is the itinerary:

Sept 12 arrive Zurich from US traint to Lucerne for two nights

sept 14-train to Montreaux stay two nights venture to Geneva but not stay overnight

Sept 16 Montreaux to Wengen for four nights

September sept 19 Wengen to Salzburg.

We will then rent a car in Salzburg for 3 days then take train to Munich for Oktoberfest.

in calculating the costs on SBB you are correct in that the smaller trips I.e Zurich to Lucerne are minimally priced ($20US). Which is why I posed the question originally. We want to take the Golden Pass from Lucerne to Montreaux which is part of the Swiss Pass correct.

Thanks for all the great thinks you guys do. I would have already purchased various passes and none of them would have been right!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 13:10:34 #880674

Hi munichmaria1,

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is only valid on the four days that you have chosen. The Golden Pass line is included in the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex). By the way, the Swiss Pass is a different product and only available for Swiss residents.

munichmaria1
    Participant
    12 posts
    3 April 2018 at 12:32:46 #880675

Thank you for your response. Please tell me if my thinking is correct. If we buy the Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days travel we can use the pass:

1) 4 days of our choosing

2)we can use it to get discounts on museums etc on OTHER days than the four we have chosen for point to ooint

3)it will cover us to the border of Austria on the last day of travel

4)currently the price is $533US with a 20% discount if purchased before April 4.

5)these are the four travel days:

Lucerne to Montreaux

Montreaux to wengen

wengen to Salzburg

we would just pay the window ticket price for Zurich to Lucerne on the day we arrive in Zurich. Maybe we only need three days?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 13:12:33 #880676
    1. This is correct as long as these are four consecutive days.
    2. No, it only works as a Swiss Museum Pass on free travel days.
    3. Yes, it will.
    4. Yes, the promotion ends on April 4: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/promotio ns. The discount is only on 1st class Swiss Travel Passes.
    5. A point-to-point ticket from Zurich to Lucerne will probably be cheaper than using your Swiss Travel Pass. That would mean that you need a three day pass.
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 20:26:18 #880677

Hi Maria,

Are you still talking about a Swiss Travel Pass Flex? I think Chantal’s answer to Q1 assumes (quite correctly given what you wrote) you have changed your mind to consecutive (non-Flex) pass .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2018 at 20:46:55 #880678

Doesn’t the first travel day have to be on/before June 30, 2018 for passes purchased in the 20% off promotion? We are planning a trip for August and I was glad to see that fine print because I still haven’t nailed down our first travel day and thought I didn’t have to rush it since we (and the OP) wouldn’t qualify for that promo tipi or am I mistaken?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 April 2018 at 20:59:38 #880679

Hello Dolson and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Correct. It won’t work for Maria. Good pickup. 🤓

That promotion also only makes sense for someone prepared to pay for the initially much higher-priced 1st class pass. Based on the official SBB prices the 20% discount should reduce the 1st v 2nd premium from 59% to 27% making it fairly attractive. But from what I can see of the Rail Europe prices they start off higher anyway. Always best to shop around first.

• The thread ‘Montreux to Geneva with Swiss Travel Pass Flex’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.