Swiss Travel Pass Flex available as e-ticket

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 July 2019 at 21:19:20 #822890

Coming in August 2019 the Swiss Travel Pass Flex will finally be available as E-Ticket . You will need to nominate your actual travel days via a website.

More details

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 July 2019 at 6:22:57 #917990

Indeed, that’s good news! It’s the last pass in the Swiss Travel System range that becomes available this way. We’ll post details on our Swiss Travel Pass Flex page as soon as the first retailers actually offer this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2019 at 14:11:54 #917991

Greetings Rockoyster,

As a traveler from a distant country we will have no mobile access to the internet outside of hotel wifi… should that even be available on certain days! Our country’s daily roaming charges in other countries is exorbitant! So the e-ticket for the flex pass may create complications due to the proposed requirements for use. We will know our primary travel days by train, and we can select those travel days immediately upon receipt of the pass! It is under the conditions of no internet that I fear our flexibility will disappear! For example, discounts on mountain excursions require use of a travel day, but if weather changes at the last minute and we decide to wait a day that flexibility is potentially lost with the e-ticket demands! Other things can happen as well such that a simple write in selection allows for the flexibility we need so we don’t lose a travel day needlessly! Bottom line… will there be other options to keep the flexibility open? Thank you, Albuq

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 July 2019 at 14:49:37 #917992

Hi Albuq,

I expect the paper option to remain available for quite a while. I assume they want to keep that option for travelers such as yourself, and for sure not all retailers will immediately offer this new delivery method.

Hotel wifi, a public hotel internet computer, or free wifi on some of the stations will be sufficient to claim a travel day. Apart from that, there are pretty affordable options to get internet access, which is really helpful for weather forecasts, train schedules and more: http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard.

For a lot of itineraries the regular Swiss Travel Pass works best. It has consecutive days so no choices to make. But the Flex pass will gradually move into a new era which requires a minute of internet access to claim a travel day.

Just let us know if you have questions when your trip approaches!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2019 at 15:57:49 #917993

Arno,

Thank you for your insight and help! I do assume the paper option on the pass flex allows last minute selections as write ins. I think the travel pass option will be cost prohibitive. I will investigate the wifi issue further! Thanks again!

Albuq

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 July 2019 at 17:26:27 #917994

Hi Albuq,

Yes indeed, picking your travel day last minute is not a problem. More details are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/howt ouse.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 July 2019 at 21:52:08 #917995

Hi Albuq,

For the best value data SIM you can’t go past shop.salt.ch/en/plans/ prepay/

The actual offer may be hidden behind a 50% discount pop up which you have to dismiss to see the real deal. Hit the “X” at top right hand corner of the pop up.

It is not officially endorsed by MySwissAlps but I used this SIM when I visited last year and found it great value. We have reports of another member sending weather reports to the forum from the top of Schilthorn using that SIM.

CHF19.95 (when I used this SIM in 2017 it was only CHF10 but still great value) gets you 10 days unlimited high-speed data (assuming you use it only for data and not calls as well).

Make sure your phone is not locked to your home provider. If it is then the Traveller’s WiFi is the go. See http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2019 at 22:43:15 #917996

Rockoyster,

Very interesting indeed! I will investigate!

Thank you, Albuq

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 July 2019 at 7:03:13 #917997

Hi Albuq,

If you want unlimited calls and data then Sunrise have a pretty compelling deal (http://www.sunrise.ch/medias/ sys_master/Factsheets/ Factsheets/hef/hc7/897 4911078430/B03-Factsheet-Sunrise-Prepaid-Unlimited-EN.pdf).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2019 at 0:21:52 #917998

Rockoyster

Thanks again for the legwork! Sunrise is certainly compelling and I intend to look into it further! I like the pay per use and the unlimited region 1 calling for a flat rate. Certainly beats the $15.00/day I would pay for roaming otherwise! I assume, however, that the SIM is a purchase that requires a phone be unlocked.

Cheers, Albuq

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 July 2019 at 0:24:51 #917999

Yes, you would need to have an unlocked phone. The SIM costs CHF19.95 but includes CHF20 credit which gives you 8-days usage prior to need to recharge.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2019 at 0:31:31 #918000

Rockoyster,

Thank you!

Albuq

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Flex available as e-ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.