Swiss Travel Pass Flex PrintHome

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 August 2019 at 6:01:44 #823430

A print at home Swiss Travel Pass Flex has been in the pipeline for some time. A recent announcement stated it would be available “mid-August”.

I emailed SBB and asked them when it would happen. They responded “The Swiss Travel Pass Flex in e-ticket form is planned for sale tomorrow, the 12th August 2019, on our website“.

So I tried everyday and today it is finally there! Yay – I think. What are the chances that showing a bus driver an electronic token that you have a valid travel day, when somewhere out in the wilds of Switzerland, would work.

Once you buy the pass you validate if for travel on your chosen day(s) at activateyourpass.com.

Am I brave enough to lay out CHF1126 for two electronic passes and pray that every conducter on every train, every bus driver, every boat operator, every cable car company and every museum entrance attendant will be up to speed on this new technology? Maybe not. Would you? What could possibly go wrong.

I also emailed the Swiss Travel Centre and they replied “Due to technical reasons we are not able to confirm if the Swiss Travel Pass Flex E-ticket will be available in our Switzerland Travel Centre ticket shop.”

Who’s going to be the first guinea pig? 🤓

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 August 2019 at 6:28:19 #920204

Hi Rockoyster,

Yes, it’s finally available! You’ll find our announcement and details on how this works here:

Retailers will be rolling out this new delivery type gradually. HappyRail already did, so you can safely buy there: https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/swiss-travel-pass-flex. We’ll be updating details on http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/pric e as soon as other retailers will offer this.

I don’t expect any problems on board of trains, buses and other modes of transport, because you will basically get a day ticket with a QR code for every travel day. That’s the same technology already in use for the Swiss Travel Pass and other tickets. The main new feature is the way you obtain these tickets: via activateyourpass.com. I assume this has been thoroughly tested. I will probably try myself as well, but not until next year.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 August 2019 at 6:38:30 #920205

That’ll teach me to subscribe to earlier threads! 😉

I admire your confidence. I remember getting on the Lake Lugano boats and waving my STP Flex as we boarded. Not a barcode reader in sight!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 August 2019 at 7:45:14 #920206

Point of order, Arno.

On your updated Swiss Travel Pass Flex "How to use" page it says “If you have a 4-day pass that is valid from July 15, you could use the travel days on July 15, July 18, August 2 and August 15, for example.

By my calculations15 August is (just) outside the month in which you are entitled to nominate travel days. N’est pas?

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 August 2019 at 7:54:48 #920207

You are very right about that example! Validity will end on August 15 5:00 AM, but the actual travel day to nominate is August 14. I will edit that immediately. Thanks!

No bar code reader is clumsy indeed. In such a case they would not be able to check any of the electronic tickets, whether it’s Swiss Travel Pass Flex or anything else. I think when you were there this was still pretty new, especially on other modes of transportation than the trains. It should be all good now. Scanning our code wasn’t even a problem at remote Rigi Scheidegg earlier this year, for example. The village was deserted. The only people around were us and one staff member with a scanner 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 August 2019 at 7:48:52 #920208

I am reassured Arno.

But it may be academic. The way the numbers are falling at the moment it looks like the Swiss Half-fare Card is going to be the most economical fit for our specific itinerary. Still a few gaps to fill in though.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 August 2019 at 8:04:43 #920209

Feel free to post a thread with your itinerary and we’ll be glad to assist; you know the drill 🙂

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Flex PrintHome’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.