Swiss Travel Pass/Half Fare Card for Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 9:17:32 #811871

Hi yall! My friend and I are planning a trip to Switzerland in late June. Our primary goal is to go to Jungfraujoch. We are both under 26 and I know we can benefit from the youth discount on Swiss Travel Pass. We will be coming from Milan by train and hopefully arrive at Spiez at night. Then we’ll go to Interlaken and stay for one night. And we will go to Jungfraujoch on the next day. After that, we plan to go to Luzern and stay for about 2 days. Then leave for Germany. From what I learnt, there should be a few train rides needed for us. First would be the train from Spiez to Interlaken, then the whole round trip around the Jungfrau railways. And a train to Luzern from Interlaken. I will list our schedule for easy understanding.

Day 1 : Train from Spiez to Interlaken

Day 2 : Jungfrau region trains

Day 3 : Train to Luzern

Day 4 : Luzern

So I want to ask if it is better for us to get a Swiss Travel Pass for 3/4 days or a Half Fare Card in this case.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 10:35:14 #863510

Hi Sklauad and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The only way to know for sure is to use the read through our page on how to choose the best rail pass and use the excel sheet to compare prices.

If those are indeed the only train or bus or boat trips you will do in Switzerland, I might think the Swiss Half Fare Card may be the better option over the Swiss Travel Pass.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 11:20:02 #863511

Thank you so much Lucas for your reply. I am not familiar with all the different prices of trains in Switzerland. That is one of the reasons why purchasing a Swiss Travel Pass appeals to me. I looked through the Jungfrac official website and saw that there is an option for Swiss Travel Pass holder, which is Jungfraujoch Ticket – connecting ticket for GA and Swiss Travel Pass. Given that I want to travel to Lucern afterwards and maybe do a some sightseeing, would it be better for me to buy a Swiss Travel Pass on the day I go to Jungfraujoch at Interlaken Ost station in the morning and buy the said connecting ticket altogether, take a round trip along the Jungfrau railways, back to Interlaken? I am concerned if there is a way to make the most use of my Travel Pass as I do wish my Swiss Travel Pass is still valid when I get to Lucern. So the plan would be buying regular ticket from Spiez to Interlaken. Then buy a Swiss Travel Pass and Junfraujoch ticket on the next day. Then I will have 2 more days left of validity for my Lucern visit. Am I correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 17:58:09 #863512

Yes, you can certainly do that – buy the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass for days 2, 3 and 4. That could save you some money rather than buying the 4 day pass.

Spiez to Interlaken Ost is a pretty cheap point to point ticket.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass/Half Fare Card for Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.