Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card for my trip?

• Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    13 June 2017 at 9:16:45 #812247

We will be travelling next Feb and we are 3 adults and 2 teens (17 & 19yo). Would like to know which travel card suits us better with the following 7 day itinerary in Switzerland:

Day 1. Train from Stuttgart, Germany to Interlaken (May I know where to get cheaper ticket with this leg? I checked http://www.bahn.de and it quoted €114.90 per person even with 3 month advance booking, which I think is very expensive). Getting to Top of Europe from Interlaken.

Day 2. Interlaken to Zermatt. If time and weather didn’t permit us to visit Top of Europe in Day 1, we will visit before leaving for Zermatt.

Day 3. No train travel. Visiting the sights in Zermatt.

Day 4. Zermatt to Lucerne.

Day 5. Lucerne to Zurich

Day 6. Zurich to Rheine Falls

Day 7. Zurich to airport.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 16:35:59 #865051

Hi Uallin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can also buy train tickets from Germany to Switzerland here (prices fluctuate all the time, they may be cheaper later).
    Are you planning on traveling from Stuttgart right to Jungfraujoch on day 1? That wouldn’t be possible as it is about 12 hours with 4 or 5 train connections).
    You can search for train timetables here to help you plan.

Note even though you are staying put in Zermatt on Day 4 you may want to travel on local trains or cable cars to Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn. A rail pass for these trips would be beneficial.

Based on your planned towns and areas I would focus on the Swiss Travel Passfor each person (there is a youth version for your 2 children).

You can buy the pass online and print it at home before traveling – and it allows you to travel almost all trains in Switzerland for free (just hop on the train and go – no other tickets needed).

Some routes only have a discount available however, on these occasions you must still buy a ticket – see here for a list of what is and is not included on the Swiss Travel Pass (and a PDF map of all of Switzerland).

Lucas

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    14 June 2017 at 16:11:15 #865052

Hi Lucas! Thanks for your your Reply. Since we will be travelling in Germany for 6 days before arriving in Switzerland, do you think we should get the Eurail 10 day 2 country Pass instead? Would that work out similar to having the Swiss Travel Pass? At least it covers the journey from Stuttgart to Interlaken. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 16:56:41 #865053

If you are traveling by rail a fair bit in Germany during those 6 days then it may well be a good idea.

But the Eurail Select Pass does not have as good a coverage in Switzerland as the Swiss Travel Pass.

You need to decide on the train trips you will be taking in both countries and compare what they each cover in Switzerland below (some routes are fully discounted, partially discounted or not discounted at all). There is a list on these pages of the main attractions and their discounts as well as a PDF map to show routes.

Swiss Travel Pass – Validity
    Eurail Select Pass – Validity

If you want to be very specific and do the math to be 100% sure we have a web page and excel sheet here to help you.

Lucas

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    15 June 2017 at 6:59:31 #865054

Thanks again, Lucas. And thanks for the Validity links. Indeed, the Eurail Pass isn’t very comprehensive.

“Are you planning on traveling from Stuttgart right to Jungfraujoch on day 1? That wouldn’t be possible as it is about 12 hours with 4 or 5 train connections).”

— We are thinking if we set off from Stuttgart at 6am, arrive Interlaken at 12pm. If the weather is good, we could head up to Jungfraujoch at 1pm. Be at the top by 3.30pm and take the last 5pm train down. Would this be doable? Alternatively, we can go Jungfraujoch the next morning.

— Also, would the Swiss Travel Pass cover the journey from Interlaken to Wengen to Grindelwald to Interlaken?

“Note even though you are staying put in Zermatt on Day 4 you may want to travel on local trains or cable cars to Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn. A rail pass for these trips would be beneficial.”

— Can I check would the Swiss Travel Pass cover trains/buses getting to Gornergrat, Iglu-Dorf & Sunnegga?

Thank you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 June 2017 at 18:37:19 #865055

Hi Uallin,

It can be done if the weather is absolutely perfect (usually the sky is less clear late in the afternoon), but I wouldn’t say it’s ideal. Kind of rushed. But worth it if they expect a rainy day the next day.

The pass covers Interlaken to Wengen and Interlaken to Grindelwald or vice versa. It does not cover Wengen to Grindelwald via Kleine Scheidegg. That’s where you get a 25% discount. Just present your Swiss Travel Pass to the train station staff in Interlaken and they’ll get you the right ticket.

Gornergrat and Sunnegga are 50% off. Iglu-Dorf is an attraction at Gornergrat as far as I know. You can check coverage details on the map.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    16 June 2017 at 5:10:04 #865056

Thanks a lot, Arno!

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Half Fare Card for my trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.