Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 16:28:35 #815304

I am arriving Zurich in Aug.7th. Will take train to Bern for 3 nites.From Bern to Wengen for 4 nites.After Wengen will be in Lurcern for 3 nites.lurcern is my last stop,and flies out from Lurcern.I am not visiting much to museums and attractions.I just like to see the cultures of the people and exploring freely.Only in Wengen I will go to visit more attractions.Can please advice me which type of Swiss pass is suitable for me.

Thanks Regards.

Chanahpat

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2018 at 0:47:46 #882171

Hi Chanahpat, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There is only one way to know for sure: add up the full-fare cost of all trips you intend to do by train, bus, cable car and boat and compare the total cost of separate tickets with the cost of doing the same trips with the Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card etc.

You can find fares in the Swiss Timetable.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It is important to be aware that the fare shown for any trip in the Swiss Timetable defaults to half fare, as most Swiss residents will have a Half-Fare travelcard which entitles them to this discount. Your calculations need to be based on full fares, which are double the default fare that comes up.

There is information and a spreadsheet here to help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

If you can’t be bothered doing the calculations, and will be out and about each day using trains and mountain transport or boats, an 8-day or 15-day Swiss Travel Pass might suit you.

If you get an 8-day pass, you will need to consider another solution for the additional days e.g. point-to-point tickets, or a Saver Day Pass (for example).

Even if you don’t use all 15 days of the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass, there’s still a chance it might be your best option. An 8-day second-class Swiss Travel Pass costs an average of CHF 49.75 per day. A 15-day second-class Swiss Travel Pass used for 10 days costs an average of CHF 48.50 per day.

If you want an easy and convenient solution, I would probably go for the 15-day Swiss Travel Pass. If you want the most economical solution, you need to formulate a detailed itinerary and do the sums.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 17:37:56 #882172

Hi Alpenrose666, thankyou do much for your kind advice and ecplanation.I am still not sure of how to cuculate.When in Bern I can use the transport voucher from the hotel.Only in Wengen I will be visiting the Alps,mounains,waterfalls and trains.Train from Wengen to Junfraujoch will there discount from Swiss Travel Pass and Half Fare Card?.In Luzern I will take the boat ride.I am coming in August, best time to buy ticket when?Is it need to make reservation tog. when booking ticket? Please advice me of the right train ticket to buy now.

Kind Regard.

Chanahpat

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 6:19:38 #882173

Hi Chanahpat,

Trains are included in the Swiss Travel Pass. With the Swiss Half Fare Card you’ll get 50% discount on your tickets. Tickets for a boat ride can be purchased when you are there. No need to make reservations.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.