Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 10:33:32 #815984

My son and I are travelling to Switzerland in June – myself for 8 consecutive days, and he will arrive a couple of days before me. Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 – Zurich – take tram/train from airport to main station/hotel (just me)

Day 2 & 3 – Lucerne – Pilatus

Day 4,5 $6- Interlaken and area – Wengen, Grindewald, Lauterbrunnen , etc.

Day 7 – Zermatt/ will be viewing Matterhorn via Gornergrat

Day 8 – Zermatt to Lugano via train

Keeping in mind that I am there 8 consecutive days, and my son who will be coming from France through Geneva, and then meeting me in Zurich about two days before me (travelling by train, possibly bus), I am wondering which travel pass is the better option for us? I like the convenience of the Swiss Travel Pass, but wonder if the lines are long during the summer months if we were to decide to get the Half Fare Pass and then purchase discounted tickets as required, along the way. At the moment we are not planning on taking any of the Panoramic trains. Thank you in advance for your kind advice. Sincerely, Paola

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 13:09:40 #885245

Hi Paola,

You will need to check the prices of all your planned train, bus, gondola, boat tickets (you plan to take) and do the math to compare prices. We have a page on how to choose the best rail pass that has a spreadsheet to help you: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 0:53:16 #885246

Hello Chantal, I did use the Excel spreadsheet but did not find it totally user friendly, but I will make a decision as to which pass as I think in the end, the Swiss Travel Pass or the Half fare pass will just about balance out.

The other question I had was if we do decide to get the Half Fare pass, can you tell me what the tickets lines are like during the month of June – or are we able to avoid the lines by purchasing tickets on-line. What is the best option with buying tickets with a Half fare pass?

Thank you, Paola

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 2:14:51 #885247

Hi Paola,

You can find some online retailers to buy tickets with the Swiss Half Fare Card here.

You may not find the option for all routes though and it won’t be any trouble to buy tickets at a rail office.

Certainly larger offices like Zurich or Lucerne etc can get busy at some points in the day but it is more about the town you are in and luck of the draw with line ups.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 2:18:27 #885248

Thank you – that is helpful.

Regards,

Paola

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.