Swiss Travel Pass or point to point tickets?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 6:19:42 #813623

Hello,

thank you for your wonderful site. We are a family of 5, Mom, Dad and 3 children ages 20,18 and 15. We will be arriving in Zurich on 29 December 2017 and plan on doing the following, please can you advise if it is better to pay for individual train tickets or to buy the travel passes for my husband and I and youth passes for the older 2 and a Swiss family card for the 15 year old.

Arrive Zurich 29 Dec, train to Lucerne, train to Interlaken on the 30 Dec where we will stay for 4 nights and will travel the area using trains and cable cars, then back to Geneva by train on 3 Jan.

How soon in advance is it possible to buy train tickets ?

Any advice regarding the above would be welcome. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2017 at 9:26:21 #871606

Hi Squirrel and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For a 4 night stay in Switzerland I would guess that a Swiss Travel Pass is the best way to go (by far the simplest) along with the youth version and Swiss Family Card as you mention.

To be sure though, you will need to plan out all your trips (including the various cable cars etc) that you plan to take and do the math. Our page on how to choose the best rail pass has an excel sheet to help you.

You can buy those rail passes now if you wish (use the links above and click the price tab).

You can also use the Swiss railways timetable here to help plan your trips

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or point to point tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.