I will be traveling to Switzerland from 3rd Nov to 10th Nov. 4 adults and a toddler (16 months). This is my itinerary for now. Interested to experience snowcapped mountain, panaromic view, boat ride. Not keen on museums or hiking. Pretty much catering to a toddler as well. I am open for suggestions. Appreciate any feedbacks please.
3rd Nov - Check in to Basel
4th Nov - A day travel from Basel to Zurich and then back to Basel
5th Nov - A day travel from Basel to Lucerne and Mount Titlis, then back to Basel
6th Nov - A day travel from Basel to Interlaken and Grindelwald, then back to Basel
7th Nov - A day travel from Basel to Chur. Planning to take the Bernina Express Ride. Then back to Basel.
8th Nov - Check out from Basel and head to Geneva by train.
9th Nov - A day travel from Geneva to Matterhorn, Zermatt and back to Geneva.
10th Nov - Check out from Geneva
Below are my lengthy questions:
1) Which pass should I choose that suits my 8 days travel? Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card?
2) I plotted the itinerary based on the places I want to visit without knowing the distance much and the route. I would appreciate if someone could give me the travel route and time for all the planned days. For instance: Basel to Zurich takes an hr. Departure station : Basel sbb and Arrival station : Zuerich hb.
3) Where is the best place to do paragliding? Interlaken or Geneva? Any specific place?
4) Where can I stay in Basel and Geneva? Any recommendations? I would prefer to a place close to airport and train stations. To make it easier to travel with a toddler. An apartment with 2 rooms would be ideal. But I am also fine with hotel and book 2 rooms separately.
5) Swiss Half Fare Card / Travel Pass – Does this pass include entrance to Basel Zoo?
6) Swiss Half Fare Card / Travel Pass – Does this pass include cable car ride and the activities to Mount Titlis?
7) Swiss Half Fare Card / Travel Pass – Does this pass include the Bernina Express ride? I understand we need to reserve seat for this ride. But do I just pay the seat reservation fee only as ticket fare is covered in the pass? Or Do I pay the train ticket and the seat reservation fee separately?
8) Swiss Half Fare Card – I understand its 50% discount on the trains, boats n etc. Does that mean I still need to queue and pay the ticket for the half price?
9) I am planning to do the Bernina Express Ride on the 7th Nov. Do I need to purchase this earlier? If yes, How? Online? OR can I just purchase it over the counter and reserve the seat on 4th Nov. Thinking of purchasing it during my travel to Zurich. Is 3 days prior the trip sufficient?