• irene
    Participant
    7 posts
    29 August 2017 at 11:52:12 #813112

Hi,

i will be travelling to Switzerland and Italy with details as follow=

Oct 11,12,13 = Interlaken , Bern , Lucerne

Oct 14 = Lucerne – Milan

Oct 17 = Milan – Zurich – Rheine falls (hotel in Ibis Budget Airport)

Oct 18 = to airport

I plan to buy =

1. Swiss travel pass 4days, which i’m going to use from first day until Lucerne-Chiasso, is that right?

2. From Chiasso – Milan return, can i buy now at trenitalia website or where?

3. i dont have to get off from the train to buy the ticket from Swiss-Italy-Swiss, right?

4. Can you suggest me for the last day in zurich (Oct 17), what pass should i buy? i calculate the full fare by train is around CHF 120, include train ride to Rhein falls but exclude the entrance fee

i’m really welcome if you can suggest me a better option

Thanks

irene

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 12:07:24 #869126

i think it right plan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 17:02:18 #869127

Hi Irene and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Correct!
    2. You can buy tickets from Switzerland to Milan online here.
    3. Correct, you don’t have to get off the train
    4. There would be no rail pass that would be worth while on your last day in Zurich. The cheapest option would be to buy the point to point ticket I think. By the way there is no entrance free for the RheinFall (except entering the castle).

How badly do you want/need to go to Milan? It is kind of awkward on your itinerary. I would at least try to go at the beginning or end of your trip and not in the middle. Are you staying one night in each town on your itinerary? I would just stay in one town and use the train to explore each day – better than changing hotels each day and having your luggage with you.

Cheers,
    Lucas

irene
    Participant
    7 posts
    30 August 2017 at 5:45:14 #869128

hi, thanks all for the reply.

for Milan case, i put in the (almost) last day of the trip, because on Oct18, my flight from zurich is early morning. so, need to go back one day before . I dont put in the beginning because i can not wait to see jungfrau hahahha (my main reason to visit Swiss).

i am staying interlaken 2nt, lucerne 1nt (because it has direct train to milan), milan 3nt, zurich 1nt. Is it too much changing hotel?

btw, i just think that Half Fare Card might give me more benefit , i can still use it for my last day in zurich?Is it allowed to use it again after going out of Switzerland, after milan trip? My whole trip is only 8days.

still need your suggestion 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2017 at 6:38:56 #869129

Hi Irene,

Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for 30 days and you can buy it online here – you are right it may be the best choice for your itinerary.

You know yourself best about the hotels changes and if it is too many. I would choose the towns I stayed in based on the activities I want to see and do and which town is most convenient for that.

You can take a train from Interlaken to Milan with one change in Spiez that is faster (overall) to Milan than some direct trains from Luzern.

Use the timetable here to find the best train for your itinerary. It depends on the activities you want to see and do and which town is most convenient for you.

Lucas

irene
    Participant
    7 posts
    30 August 2017 at 9:43:34 #869130

Never thought that Interlaken Milan is faster than direct from Lucerne hehehe.. i will check the whole trip again

Thank you Lucas for your time answering my question.

will be back to you if still need an aswer xixiix

Thanks

irene

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass and train to Milan questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.