Swiss Travel Pass Printing and Travel ID

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 14:55:37 #812034

Good day. I have just a couple more quick questions for our upcoming visit to Switzerland in June. We have purchased our Swiss Travel Passes and plan on doing the print at home option.

1. When I print off our passes will it wok to use a high quality, heavy, off white paper so that the passes are better able to survive the trip or do they have to be printed on standard white paper to scan correctly?

2. When we are traveling in Switzerland with our Swiss Travel Passes do we have to carry our Passports on our person or can we keep our passports secured in our rooms and utilize photocopies of our passports?

Thank you all for all of the help and good advice,

Charles B.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 17:21:11 #864174

Hi Charles,

Hmm I’ve never thought of the paper you print those passes on! I think virtually everyone prints on standard printing paper so I wouldn’t worry about heavier paper – I suppose it can’t hurt if you have it 😉

Yes, you must have your passport on you when traveling on the Swiss Travel Pass.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 19:29:38 #864175

Thank you Lucas.

Charles B.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 2:09:30 #864176

>> When I print off our passes will it wok to use a high quality, heavy, off white paper so that the passes are better able to survive the trip or do they have to be printed on standard white paper to scan correctly?

The SBB has guidelines for printing tickets, which includes the following:

“Tickets are valid only if printed in portrait format and 100% size on white A4 paper using an inkjet or laser printer. (Please do not print in draft/economy mode.) …. If you travel with a ticket that has not been printed out correctly you will be deemed to be travelling without a valid ticket and will have to pay a supplement.”

http://www.sbb.ch/en/business -travel/businesstravel/ questions/online.html

I would expect these guidelines to also apply to print-at-home Swiss Travel Passes. I suppose it depends on whether your “off-white” paper is considered to really be white 🙂

Personally, I would prefer to avoid the uncertainty. Why not print two or three copies of your Swiss Travel Pass on normal white paper, and keep the spare ones protected in your bag. If the one you are using starts looking the worse for wear, start using one of the spare ones.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 May 2017 at 18:30:40 #864177

We have used our STP(Flex) 9 days in the past 2 weeks on trains, boats, cable cars, funiculars and for museum access. We have never been asked for any id. They just check the Pass has been validated for the date of use (ie that you have written in the date). Maybe we just struck friendly conductors.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 1:22:07 #864178

>> We have used our STP(Flex) 9 days in the past 2 weeks on trains, boats, cable cars, funiculars and for museum access. We have never been asked for any id.

It’s true, a lot of conductors don’t bother asking for ID. In 7 weeks of daily travel last year, I had to produce my passport 3 or 4 times. One of those was a conductor-in-training, accompanied by her supervisor, so I guess she had to go by the book 😀

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Printing and Travel ID’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.