Swiss Travel Pass procedure on free trips

• tyland
    Participant
    4 posts
    21 February 2017 at 14:32:55 #810863

I am going to do the Rigi and Pilatus trips in June and wonder if I can just get on cogwheel train up and then get a ticket for the cable car down at the top in each case or whether I need to obtain a ticket for the whole trip before I start? The timings I was looking at, do not allow much time to queue at Alpnachstad or Vitznau.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 17:18:15 #859220

Hi Tyland and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can buy tickets online ahead of time certainly. Use the SBB timetable page to see the schedule and click here to buy tickets (if needed) for Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus.

Also, take a look at our “how to get there” pages for Mt. Pilatus, and Mt. Rigi which could help.

Lucas

tyland
    Participant
    4 posts
    21 February 2017 at 19:27:28 #859221

Sorry, but why would I buy tickets for a trip that is free with the pass. What i was asking is do i need any ticket for the cog railways and, if not, then can I get a cable car ticket (free) at the top?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2017 at 20:30:02 #859222

Hi Tyland,

Sorry, I have misunderstood your question. You don’t need to get any tickets for Mt. Rigi if you have the Swiss Travel Pass. You just show them your Swiss Travel Pass if asked.

from our page on Mt. Rigi:
    Trains from Arth-Goldau or Vitznau to Mount Rigi: free
    Cableway from Weggis to Rigi Kaltbad: free
    Train to Arth-Goldau: free
    Boat to Vitznau or Weggis: free

From our page on Mt. Pilatus:
    Cableway/train from Kriens or Alpnachstad to Pilatus: free
    Train to Lucerne or Alpnachstad: free
    Bus from Lucerne to Kriens: free

If you are taking one of those routes and you have a Swiss Travel Pass then you don’t need to a ticket at all, just have your Swiss Travel Pass with you.

Does that answer your question?

Lucas

tyland
    Participant
    4 posts
    22 February 2017 at 19:32:08 #859223

Thank you.

That was exactly the answer I was hoping for re the cogwheel trains at the start of each trip to avoid having to queue,but I’m sure that I have read on another thread that you need a ticket for cableways in order to get through the barriers. But there will be more time at the top so no doubt I will be able to get one then if needed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2017 at 7:38:34 #859224

>> That was exactly the answer I was hoping for re the cogwheel trains at the start of each trip to avoid having to queue,but I’m sure that I have read on another thread that you need a ticket for cableways in order to get through the barriers. But there will be more time at the top so no doubt I will be able to get one then if needed.

When I went up to Pilatus on the cogwheel train in August last year, I had the Tell Pass, which provided a free trip, but I still had to present my pass at the ticket office in Alpnachstad in order to get a (free) ticket to get through the barriers.

There was a sign in the courtyard front of the Pilatus cogwheel station saying “Did you exchange your ticket?”. So I assume anyone who already has a pass or ticket bought somewhere else has to present it at the Pilatus ticket office to get a ticket that can be read by the barriers.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 February 2017 at 11:06:32 #859225

You can travel almost anywhere without tickets with a Swiss Travel Pass, but mountain transport may require everyone to pass through gates which require a specific ticket with a bar code, so in such a case they will provide a free ticket. I don’t know exactly where this is the case (most cable cars have gates like that); you’ll see when you get there. It is explained here: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/howtouse.

tyland
    Participant
    4 posts
    24 February 2017 at 19:39:10 #859226

Many thanks for setting the record straight. I will have to jiggle my timings to allow for queuing.

Just out of interest, I looked at Alpnachstad on Google Street View and there are, indeed, barriers which need a ticket.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass procedure on free trips’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.