Swiss Travel Pass QR code invalid?

• Chipmunkytea
    Participant
    6 posts
    5 August 2021 at 21:45:13 #826010

Hello all!

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone recently or I’m just addled with bad luck. I am currently in Switzerland, trying to utilize the Swiss Rail Pass I bought from Klook.com last month during the July 25% off sale. I received them within two days of purchase which Ive seen has been an issue for others on this forum.

My issue is that both my QR and paper copies have been unreadable by every conductor I’ve encountered. I reached out to Klook but they claim they need new codes from SBB, and that will take some time. Has anyone had this issue before? To be in the midst of traveling, and expected to pay for new tickets after dropping close to $700 for two 8 day passes is ridiculous and frustrating.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 August 2021 at 7:01:14 #936064

Hi Chipmunkytea,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I am sorry to hear this, it’s an unfortunate issue and I haven’t heard of it before. If you are willing to e-mail us your order number and your rail pass, then I can see if I can figure out what’s wrong with it. Please e-mail to our contact address.

Chipmunkytea
    Participant
    6 posts
    6 August 2021 at 7:50:53 #936065

Thank you! I’ve sent it over.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 August 2021 at 8:03:30 #936066

Thank you, I have received it. The document you sent me is not a Swiss Travel Pass. At least, not the pass as I know it. It is the Klook voucher that you must redeem to receive the actual Swiss Travel Pass. An actual Swiss Travel Pass has the SBB-CFF-FFS logo on it, and a larger QR code. Redemption might be possible at a staffed train station ticket office. I doubt it will work but you could give it a try.

I might be wrong, but what I think happened is that Klook sent you their voucher while they should have sent the Swiss Travel Pass PDF document(s). So, no redemption required. If that’s true, Klook does not need to get another pass or code from SBB, they just need to send the correct document. They should still have it stored in their system.

I recommend to contact Klook and point them to this post, to see if this is indeed the issue. Try their live chat if you can to speed things up.

Chipmunkytea
    Participant
    6 posts
    6 August 2021 at 12:08:34 #936067

Thanks for looking. I reached out to both SBB and Klook and neither have provided a solution. Klook keeps giving me a canned answer that they will update me when they have a solution even though I have asked them to resend the emailed e tickets. It’s a very frustrating experience as we are in day 4 of our pass and it has been unusual for the conductors too. Each ride we have been stopped and told they are invalid. Klook has not been helpful and I believe that I will never buy from them again.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 August 2021 at 13:13:35 #936068

You’re most welcome! Did they read my post yet? If my conclusion is correct they should be able to solve this in minutes.

Chipmunkytea
    Participant
    6 posts
    6 August 2021 at 21:17:29 #936069

Yep. I did. And still nothing. Day 4 of my pass begins tomorrow and it has been extremely disheartening. The SBB conductors have stopped us at each point (which they should) and it has been uncomfortable explaining the situation to them. Some have been very understanding, others not so much and have questioned us in an unsettling way.

Chipmunkytea
    Participant
    6 posts
    7 August 2021 at 5:56:48 #936070

Arno, an update.

Klook refuses to replace the passes and has offered a refund within 5-7 days. As these were bought with the 25% sale, this has left me to replace them at full price.

Upon further review, I have looked at Klook’s reviews on social media and elsewhere. Many customers have been promised refunds without receiving them. Some reported that refunds still not have been given after months. I am disheartened and now anxious that I have lost close to $700 for trusting in this company to do the right thing.

I really encourage that you do not suggest this company in the future for rail passes and for people on this forum to not use them as this may happen to them. It is not easy to be in a foreign country with an expectation to replace such costly tickets. Lesson learned. Do not trust Klook.

Anna
    6362 posts
    7 August 2021 at 6:13:25 #936071

Hi Chipmunkytea,

So sorry to hear about your situation. That must be very frustrating. I hope you managed to get a Swiss Travel Pass replacement. Please keep us updated about your request for a refund from Klook.

Safe travel and regards,

Anna

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 August 2021 at 6:21:58 #936072

Yes, please keep us updated. I will also get in touch with Klook and see what I can do for you. If there’s news I’ll post it here.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 August 2021 at 5:52:45 #936073

Hi Chipmunkytea,

Just letting you know that Klook is still working on this. So this won’t be solved before your trip is over unfortunately, but I will follow up later with their findings. Hopefully you’re enjoying your trip nevertheless!

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 August 2021 at 6:02:51 #936074

Hi again Chipmunkytea,

Klook conducted an internal investigation as they wanted to know what happened in your case, and also prevent this from happening again. Klook’s Review Team will be in touch soon to address the matter with you. Compensation details will be discussed with you in private rather than here in our forum.

Chipmunkytea
    Participant
    6 posts
    13 August 2021 at 12:40:09 #936075

Thank you, Arno! I truly appreciate your support.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass QR code invalid?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.