Swiss Travel Pass – Zurich to Zermatt options

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 5:32:02 #817148

Hi,

Will be arriving in Zurich Airport and heading off straight to Zermatt after I Land. Have also bought the Swiss 8 days Travel Rail. From what I understand, Zurich airport train station is call Zurich Flughafen? So basically I will just head down to the station and check the next train to Zermatt and head off. SBB mobile app should be pretty accurate?

Just to confirm with experts here. There isn’t really a Glacier express for me to take from Zurich to Zermatt right? Its just a standard train that I would need to change one or 2 stops to reach Zermatt?

Also does my 8 days pass allows me to take those scenic trains?

Have quite a bit of questions and hope you guys can help out. WIll be arriving on Thursday.

Cheers!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 July 2018 at 6:31:56 #890704

Do you want fast or scenic connection.

On scale of fast to scenic go:

1. Zurich Flughafen to Zermatt (no via – the SBB Timetable will give you the fastest route)

2. Add via Kandersteg (You will then travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views.)

3. Add via Lucerne, Interlaken and Kandersteg

4. Add via Chur, Andermatt (for Glacier Express route). Actual Glacier Express (GEX) requires paid seat reservations (on top of STP) but you are probably too late to get a seat but can follow same route on regular trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 6:35:28 #890705

Just curious, whats the time difference between option 4 and option 1?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 July 2018 at 6:42:23 #890706

Good question. That’s why you have the SBB App. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 6:50:13 #890707

Thanks,

I will be travelling from Zurich To Zermatt to Wengen to Lucern and back to Zurich.

It seems that I will not have a chance to be on Glacier express trains or panaromic view trains?

All these rides seem to be for longer hours. Am I missing much? Any chance of adding them in my plans?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 8:36:13 #890708

The Glacier Express full route is about 8 hours. https://www.myswissalp s.com/glacierexpress/g ettingthere You could travel from Zurich to Chur to board it there and get about 5/6 hours on the train to Zermatt (if you have the time).

If the flight arrival time is later in the day you can still travel on the Glacier Express route from Chur to Zermatt but on regional trains rather than panoramic.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – Zurich to Zermatt options’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.