How to reserve seats on the Glacier Express train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 10:16:22 #812969

Hi,

I am travelling to Switzerland in September.

I am planning to Buy a 2nd class 15 days Swiss travel pass, but when i try to reserve seats for GEX it does show prices only for 1st class.

What am i supposed to do since my STP is for 2nd class? have i lost the ride? or i can just reserve 1st class seats and travel by 2nd class, or travel by 1st class? How it should be?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 17:16:19 #868377

Hi pkhedkar1512 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There is both 1st and 2nd class seats on the Glacier Express train. Perhaps on the date/time you are looking for the 2nd class seats are sold out?

If you can only find 1st class seats you can reserve them and then upgrade to 1st class just for that trip. Read about how to do so on the SBB mobile app here. You can also upgrade on the SBB website or at the rail station (just do so before getting on the train!).

If you are looking to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online and have it emailed to you for printing at home (very convenient) you can do so here.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 August 2017 at 4:09:44 #868378

Hi pkhedkar,

And just to add to what Lucas said, the first class upgrade will cost you half the difference between the 1st Class and 2nd Class fares.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 7:21:21 #868379

Thank you very much Lucas and Rockoyster…I will check out and give my feedback here

• The thread ‘How to reserve seats on the Glacier Express train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.