Swiss rail pass suggestions for 5 days trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2017 at 10:06:04 #811912

Hello all,

I am planning my first trip to Switzerland with my family, and would be grateful for some help please!

We are a family of 5 adults and 1 youth, and have decided on the following travel plans:-

Day 1 – First night in Geneva

Day 2- Train from Geneva to Montreal

Day 3 – Montreal (Chocolate Train one day excursion)

Day 4 – Train from Montreal to Lucerne

Day 5 – Lucerne Golden Tour

Day 6- Train from Lucerne to Zurich Airport

I have tried calculating the fares for the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half Fare card, but wasn’t very sure, with the two days excursions (Chocolate Train and Golden Tour), it would be better to obtain a Travel Pass or a Half fare card. If we were to buy a Travel Pass, presumably, the 4 days pass would suffice? (For day 2-day 5)

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2017 at 12:09:09 #863632

Hi heffamao and welcome to MySwissAlps!

First, I’m assuming you mean Montreux, Switzerland and not Montreal, Canada on your itinerary above? 🙂

I agree to the Swiss Travel Pass, 4 days for day 2 to 5 may be best. (discounts apply for the chocolate train and the Golden pass route is covered fully by the Swiss travel Pass (unless you are taking an actual guided tour?). However, the Swiss Half fare Card will get you 50% off all trips for all 6 days – so it is a valid option as well.

If you need help with doing the calculations on tickets vs. different rail passes please use our excel sheet on our web page: choosing the best rail pass here (if you haven’t done so already).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2017 at 15:34:02 #863633

Dear Lucas,

Thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I meant Montreux, not Montreal, I apologise, that was a very embarrassing mistake!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2017 at 8:11:41 #863634

No worries! I notice MS word auto corrects that a lot.

Let us know if you have further questions!

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass suggestions for 5 days trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.