Swiss rail pass suggestions for 5 days trip

Swiss rail pass suggestions for 5 days trip

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
heffamao
heffamao
2 posts
May 21, 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hello all,

I am planning my first trip to Switzerland with my family, and would be grateful for some help please!

We are a family of 5 adults and 1 youth, and have decided on the following travel plans:-

Day 1 - First night in Geneva

Day 2- Train from Geneva to Montreal

Day 3 - Montreal (Chocolate Train one day excursion)

Day 4 - Train from Montreal to Lucerne

Day 5 - Lucerne Golden Tour

Day 6- Train from Lucerne to Zurich Airport

I have tried calculating the fares for the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half Fare card, but wasn't very sure, with the two days excursions (Chocolate Train and Golden Tour), it would be better to obtain a Travel Pass or a Half fare card. If we were to buy a Travel Pass, presumably, the 4 days pass would suffice? (For day 2-day 5)

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
May 21, 2017 - 12:09 PM in reply to heffamao

Hi heffamao and welcome to MySwissAlps!

First, I'm assuming you mean Montreux, Switzerland and not Montreal, Canada on your itinerary above? :)

I agree to the Swiss Travel Pass, 4 days for day 2 to 5 may be best. (discounts apply for the chocolate train and the Golden pass route is covered fully by the Swiss travel Pass (unless you are taking an actual guided tour?). However, the Swiss Half fare Card will get you 50% off all trips for all 6 days - so it is a valid option as well.

If you need help with doing the calculations on tickets vs. different rail passes please use our excel sheet on our web page: choosing the best rail pass here (if you haven't done so already).

Lucas

Last modified on May 21, 2017 - 12:09 PM by Lucas
heffamao
heffamao
2 posts
May 21, 2017 - 3:34 PM

Dear Lucas,

Thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I meant Montreux, not Montreal, I apologise, that was a very embarrassing mistake!

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
May 22, 2017 - 8:11 AM in reply to heffamao

No worries! I notice MS word auto corrects that a lot.

Let us know if you have further questions!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017