Swiss Travel Pass – cable car coverage?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 11:05:59 #816957

Hello,

If i get the Swiss Travel Pass how do I know if a cable car is covered with the pass? Will this be posted somewhere or will I have to get in line to speak to someone? If i have to get in line to figure that out it kind of defeats the purpose and will not save time if i still have to get into line. I do see the Swiss Travel Validity Map but I’m sort of unclear about routes to Wengen, Kleine Scheidegg, etc. If I’m going to have to check the map and research for all my trips it’s almost easier to just get the half fare card and know i’m looking at 50% for everything and then buy the tickets on the app.

Thanks for your help!!

TJ

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 12:35:02 #889707

Hi TJ,

The PDF map is the best way to figure out what is covered and not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. We also list many popular mountains on the same page so you can quickly see the % coverage. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

The legend on the map shows any solid line is free. Any dotted line is 50% off and any dotted line with the #1 in a circle is 25% off. So, for example, Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg is 25% off the ticket purchase price.

Most routes are free with the STP so not much time is needed for review. But if you find it easier to buy tickets for each trip you take, that is also an option for you.

It may or may not be more expensive than buying the Swiss Travel Pass. If you want to see which pass is better economically you can check here once you have finalized your daily itinerary look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass but it sounds like speed is more important than pricing for you. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 8:57:28 #889708

Hi TJ,

I have just returned from 7 nights in Luzern and Murren. Swiss Travel Pass is great for trains, buses and boats, but when it comes to cable cars, most are only partially covered, or not covered at all.

Luzern area:

1. Rigi round trip is covered 100%

2. Stanserhorn round trip, including Cabrio, is covered 100%

3. Mt. Pilatus is partially covered

4. Mt. Titlis is partially covered

Bernese Oberland area:

1. Train up to Wengen is covered. Anything above Wengen is not fully covered (Mannlichen, Kleine Scheidigg). Wengen to Mannlichen is 19 CHF round trip

2. Train up to Grindelwald is covered, but not beyond or above

3. All transport (train, cable car) to Murren are covered

4. Transport to Schilthorn & Birg is covered (cable cars)

5. Murren to Allmendhubel funicular is not covered (14 CHF round trip)

6. Interlaken OST to Harder Kulm cogwheel train is not fully covered

7. Schynige Platte train is not fully covered

8. Isenfluh to Sulwald cable car is not covered

Hope this helps!

Enjoy the trip!

Regards,

Ritu

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 11:00:15 #889709

Thanks for the info.

How did you know when the particular cable cars weren’t covered? Did you use the map or did you speak to someone at the cable car station?

I have a grasp basically on cable cars being 50% off, but some are covered. I’d just hate to waste time if there was an easier way to find out, like it’s posted somewhere at the station.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 July 2018 at 11:05:16 #889710

The map you can download from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity gives you all the answers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 11:07:50 #889711

got it, thanks everyone!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 11:23:11 #889712

I asked at the cable car stations which was simpler for me. It’s nowhere posted in any station. You may use the map to save time. They will check your STP/ticket anyway at the entrance of the cable car.

Regards,

Ritu

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 11:31:38 #889713

perfect, thank you Ritu for input! that helped

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass – cable car coverage?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.