Swiss Travel Pass timing coverage question

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 4:06:40 #815460

Hello there,

I am trying to find the best Swiss Travel pass option for my vacation. We are 2 adults and a 3 year old. I appreciate your suggestions and advice as always.

This is our itinerary:

* Arriving Zurich MAy 2nd at 11:30 am by train. Then heading to Lucerne. Visiting Lucerne lake and Lucerne downtown.

* Visit Mt Titlis on May 3rd. Leave to Grindelwald later that evening.

* Visit Schilthorn on May 4th

* Visit Jungfraujoch on May 5th

* On May 6th, travel from Grindelwald to FLorence Italy.

My question is if I purchase the 4 day continuous Swiss Travel Pass at 12 PM on May2nd, will it be valid until 12 PM on May6th. This way I can leave to Italy early morning on May 6th and leverage my STP for my train travel from Grindelwald to Domodossola on May6th.

Any suggestions on how to make a 4 day pass work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TrvlBeyond1

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 April 2018 at 7:06:51 #882895

A “travel day” starts at 00:00 am and finishes at 05:00am the next day. It doesn’t matter what time you buy it only what date you nominate as the start date.

So if you buy an STP with a start day of 2 May it will only be valid for travel completed prior to 05:00am on the 6th.

The full fare from Zurich to Lucerne is CHF30 so doesn’t make much sense to use the STP on the 2nd unless you have in mind a long lake cruise.

Start the pass on the 3rd. It is also much more convenient to buy on-line and print at home so you can have a backup (PDF and print-out) to take with you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 15:12:41 #882896

HI RockyOyster,

Thank you for your response. Actually, I will reach Lucerne by mid-day, so considering i have some time left, I do intend to do a Lucerne boat ride (and possibly to Mt Rigi if we get lucky and have a sunny day). In that scenario, do I have any other pass option for May2nd ?

Do you think it’s worth buying a Swiss One day Pass for May2nd, but I read somewhere the Swiss Day Pass requires a Swiss Half Fare Card ? That’s why I am confused.

Appreciate your guidance on this.

thank you !

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 April 2018 at 16:22:44 #882897

Hi TrvlBeyond1,

The 1-day travelpass indeed requires a Swiss Half Fare Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass. The Saver Day Pass needs to be purchased in advance so waiting for the weather forecast would not work: http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details.

Your child will in any case travel for free. But for the adults it’s either point to point tickets that day, or consider using a Swiss Half Fare Card for your entire day, because the card is valid for a month. I can’t think of a different option. I wish there were Swiss Travel Passes for any number of days. So much easier!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 April 2018 at 21:02:02 #882898

For boat trips and/or Rigi the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) is the best option.

Or start your STP on 2nd and get Saver Day Pass for 6th as that is not weather dependant. Either way you will need to buy SDP soon to get best price.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass timing coverage question’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.