Swiss Travel Pass timing coverage question

Swiss Travel Pass timing coverage question

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
trvlbeyond1
trvlbeyond1
11 posts
Apr 22, 2018 - 4:06 AM

Hello there,

I am trying to find the best Swiss Travel pass option for my vacation. We are 2 adults and a 3 year old. I appreciate your suggestions and advice as always.

This is our itinerary:

* Arriving Zurich MAy 2nd at 11:30 am by train. Then heading to Lucerne. Visiting Lucerne lake and Lucerne downtown.

* Visit Mt Titlis on May 3rd. Leave to Grindelwald later that evening.

* Visit Schilthorn on May 4th

* Visit Jungfraujoch on May 5th

* On May 6th, travel from Grindelwald to FLorence Italy.

My question is if I purchase the 4 day continuous Swiss Travel Pass at 12 PM on May2nd, will it be valid until 12 PM on May6th. This way I can leave to Italy early morning on May 6th and leverage my STP for my train travel from Grindelwald to Domodossola on May6th.

Any suggestions on how to make a 4 day pass work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TrvlBeyond1

Last modified on Apr 22, 2018 - 4:07 AM by trvlbeyond1
rockoyster
rockoyster
3359 posts
expert
Apr 22, 2018 - 7:06 AM in reply to trvlbeyond1

A "travel day" starts at 00:00 am and finishes at 05:00am the next day. It doesn't matter what time you buy it only what date you nominate as the start date.

So if you buy an STP with a start day of 2 May it will only be valid for travel completed prior to 05:00am on the 6th.

The full fare from Zurich to Lucerne is CHF30 so doesn't make much sense to use the STP on the 2nd unless you have in mind a long lake cruise.

Start the pass on the 3rd. It is also much more convenient to buy on-line and print at home so you can have a backup (PDF and print-out) to take with you.

trvlbeyond1
trvlbeyond1
11 posts
Apr 22, 2018 - 3:12 PM

HI RockyOyster,

Thank you for your response. Actually, I will reach Lucerne by mid-day, so considering i have some time left, I do intend to do a Lucerne boat ride (and possibly to Mt Rigi if we get lucky and have a sunny day). In that scenario, do I have any other pass option for May2nd ?

Do you think it's worth buying a Swiss One day Pass for May2nd, but I read somewhere the Swiss Day Pass requires a Swiss Half Fare Card ? That's why I am confused.

Appreciate your guidance on this.

thank you !

Arno
Arno
10344 posts
expert &
Apr 22, 2018 - 4:22 PM in reply to trvlbeyond1

Hi TrvlBeyond1,

The 1-day travelpass indeed requires a Swiss Half Fare Card: www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass. The Saver Day Pass needs to be purchased in advance so waiting for the weather forecast would not work: www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details.

Your child will in any case travel for free. But for the adults it's either point to point tickets that day, or consider using a Swiss Half Fare Card for your entire day, because the card is valid for a month. I can't think of a different option. I wish there were Swiss Travel Passes for any number of days. So much easier!

rockoyster
rockoyster
3359 posts
expert
Apr 22, 2018 - 9:02 PM in reply to trvlbeyond1

For boat trips and/or Rigi the Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) is the best option.

Or start your STP on 2nd and get Saver Day Pass for 6th as that is not weather dependant. Either way you will need to buy SDP soon to get best price.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018